What is it With Flies and BBQ?

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been wondering why flies are attracted to my BBQ? A couple hours after firing up a smoker I get a bunch of flies around the patio. There is no food laying around and the flies were not there before. They seem to be drawn to the smoke. Another few weeks and they will be gone for the winter but what is the deal? Any recommendations that I can use to resolve this? I hate to use fly paper but I will if I need to. Cheers!

images

Same problem here. But, I love it when a fly or two gets in the house. Watching the cats try to catch it is hilarious.

Fill plastic bags with water. Tie the bags off and hang bags. The light refraction going through the bag of water that confuses the fly. No more flies

Fill plastic bags with water. Tie the bags off and hang bags. The light refraction going through the bag of water that confuses the fly. No more flies

Does it matter what kind of plastic bag you use? Do you have to put anything other than water in it?

Homemade fly traps. 16oz water bottle. Cut the top off and flip it over and push down into bottle like a funnel. Tape it together. Use sugary water or anything sweet for bait.

I live a couple miles from a horse track and certain times of the year when racing is in season the flies are horrible. You pretty much can't eat outside.

I have the same problem. A large fan works most of the time, but the noise from the fan is annoying. With alot of air moving they can't really land all that well.

For me it’s the smoke they love. KBB seems to really attract them. Lump charcoal not as much.

Same here when I get my pellet grill going. Some hang around even when I have it covered up. It may be the smells of meat grease that attracts them? I like the fly guns too.

Back