Chicken and Ribs- No added smoke-Fail

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Going to cook a young chicken and a rack of spares in the Primo XL. Using all natural lump from Whole Foods- which is really nice btw. I don't have a Whole Foods in Amarillo but pick up a few bags when in Santa Fe or Dallas. Why no smoking wood- just want to try without. Meat seasonings and lump coal.

Notified the Boss I needed another day off. Slept yesterday 8:45 to 7:00 am this morning. Not 100%, but all systems normalized and 1000% better.

Guess if I was ever going to quit alcohol this would be the time as I have a 6 day unplanned head start. Maybe a glass of wine :))

Last edited:
Most of the PBC crew don't add wood and are just happy to see the smoke ring from the charcoal. Lots of things i cook I don't add wood chunks either, just the drippings flashing back give me enough BBQ flavor. Enjoy your day off and rest up!

No, I will use diffuser plates. Here are spares rubbed and ready. Very light dusting of KS and CBP. Then a good amount of Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama and sealed that with about two tablespoons of yellow mustard

Last edited:
How do you like the Farmland ribs? I see them on sale once in awhile but have never tried them, always leary of them being enhanced.

Lookin' good Adams. Great way to spend the day too.
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better!

How do you like the Farmland ribs? I see them on sale once in awhile but have never tried them, always leary of them being enhanced.

I've never had a bad rack of all Natural St Louis cut spares from Farmland. Always meaty and nice uniform trimmed. Never an aroma when you open the cryo.
I will pick Farmland natural over IBP/Excel etc side by side every time. All Farmland products I've eaten and cooked- ribs, breakfast sausage, shoulders butts etc have been great

Just put a light glaze of honey-Sprite and Stubbs Sweet Heat. Let it set about 15-20" call it good. Chicken rocking along doing its thing. No sauce for her.

Last edited:
See all this?? In the trash. The chicken still had feathers and quills when I opened- smelled fine though. I temp'd chicken 187-200 brought in cut ribs and took this photo. Then noticed Chicken was running bloody juices from breast bone and quarter joints. Sucks- I know it's at safe temp but mind can't get past chicken blood and/or chicken red juices.

Last edited:
Back