Smoker Choices

The benefits of insulation show themselves anytime the weather is not a perfect calm sunny day. They become ridiculous the further from perfect conditions as you get.

I appreciate all of your input. Right now I'm trying to get the funding so that I can purchase a smoker and trailer. I've been looking at the Humphrey's and Stumps. Anyone have experience with Spicewine?

Yup. I have a Large Spicewine. Do yourself a favor and call Jay Curry at Spicewine Ironworks and talk to him about his cookers. Jay is a long time member of the Brethren and makes a cooker that is built to last several life times. You can see pics of my cooker by using the search feature on the board.
The pics that Jay has on his web site are basic and really don't show off the cookers. (Sorry Jay if your reading, stick to welding and get somebody else to take the pics of your smokers) :becky:

I've seen plenty of Humphrey's pits and they are really nice cookers.

Do your homework and get what fits your needs.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

I was in a similar boat recently. Not competition so much as just expanded needs/desires from my Rec Tec. Did the mods and the thing is great but needed to get back to burning a fire. Sort of like the same reason I would buy a manual transmission in a car.

Looked at a ton of cookers and went through every review I could find. I opted for a cabinet and ordered a pitmaker. All of the cookers you mentioned are very well thought of and highly praised. I can't see you going wrong with any choice. Just weigh what is important to you to narrow the choices and when it comes to it, go with where your heart tells you.

Also, call each maker and chat. See who makes you most comfortable and addresses your particular needs and concerns.

Are there any resources that compare the features of smokers and explaining the differences between the different styles?

Even temps are not an important feature for me... i would rather have different zones i can use to my benefit...

I'll second this... I like having zones in my smoker, so I can cook all 4 meats in the same cooker at varying temperatures.

I went from a stick burner to our Southern Q Limo, and our smoker kicks tail!

Even temps are not an important feature for me... i would rather have different zones i can use to my benefit...

Good for you. I guess I've never needed different zones of temps on a cooker but I have 2 pits running 2 different temps. I can't afford a jambo

I currently have one Rec Tec pellet smoker and I'm very happy with it. I've just started competing and I've quickly realized that I need more than one smoker. There are so many choices out there and I'd appreciate everyone's input.

Everybody is going to recommend what they are currently using.

My suggestion is go to a comp on Friday night with a rolling cooler full of beer and make the rounds. Ask the teams what they like about their machine - kick the tires and twist the knobs yourself. There's no substitute for a hands on demo by someone who has real-world contest experience with the product.

Back