• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

what is your greatest BBQ accomplishment?

For me so far it has been only 2 Sam's Club competitions in my career and finished:

Local:3 place ribs; 1st place pork butt and 3rd place overall
Regional: 1st place chicken

Haven't done another competition since the regional event last year but hope to do more soon. This year, unfortunately, might be out as I might have a little BBQ Pitmaster on the way. If that happens, my next goal will be to do a competition with him/her.

congrats!!!

GC with my son cooking with me on Father's Day weekend last year. It was nice since as soon as it was announced, he said "now I can tell her to shut up!!" The previous year I GC'd with just my daughter with me and apparently she had been telling him that I can't win with him around. LOL

Farking kids.

yeah, that was awesome. i unfortunately missed the one with your daughter though, i think.

for me it's the people i've met along the way, blah, blah, blah....but it's true.

as far as accolades, it's every time i get an entire cooksite into my xterra the night before a comp.

an RGC after 3 or 4 events was icing quickly followed by my greatest failure so far, middle of the pack every contest since.

Getting first place ribs and then following that up with DAL ribs in the following contest. It's a crazy world we live in.

First place chicken in two different states ky and ga. On the same weekend i believe i am the only team to do that in kcbs. My first fba gc was an epic adventure.me and rub partied like rock stars.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Having at least one GC per year since 2007.. and having Scottie Johnson on speed dial!

Having at least one GC per year since 2007.. and having Scottie Johnson on speed dial!

Yeah buddy!

You got me thinking. CSC has qualified for 8 Jack draws in a row. What does that mean? No clue, other than we only get in the jack with an auto.... :shock:

I may have a few.
Getting my 1st ever rib call for 2nd place, with a recipe that I made up on the fly. It was enough to get me my 1st ever GC in the 5 comps I've done :grin:

Having your kids paint pictures at school that include me and them BBQing outside :grin:
My oldest had to use the word patience in a sentence at school. She said:
My daddy says you have to be patient with BBQ. :) - Love that one. :biggrin1:

I have five that stand out, in no particular order:

1. Watching my daughter win her first Kids Q in 2006
2. Watching my daughter take 8th overall out of over 100 ADULTS in a wing competition at the Great American BBQ in 2009.
3. Getting perfect score pins two weeks in a row (Huron, SD - Pork and Raytown, MO - Chicken) in 2010.
4. Getting to compete in The Jack, getting two top ten calls and finishing 11th overall in 2011.
5. The whole experience it took to finish 5th overall in the 2010 KCBS Team of the Year race.

This list is why I'm rarely competing anymore. The BBQ Bucket List has been checked off pretty good.

for me it's the people i've met along the way, blah, blah, blah....but it's true.

as far as accolades, it's every time i get an entire cooksite into my xterra the night before a comp.

an RGC after 3 or 4 events was icing quickly followed by my greatest failure so far, middle of the pack every contest since.

I have seen the ENTIRE cooksite packed into the xterra and that truly is an accomplishment. You practically need a degree in advanced engineering to pull it off!

I have seen the ENTIRE cooksite packed into the xterra and that truly is an accomplishment. You practically need a degree in advanced engineering to pull it off!

thanks, it took some practice. :crazy:

now, if only i could get a degree in BBQ so i could fair better with all that junk i pack. :twitch:

Back