PigTail Flipper

sloandsteady

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of using a fork to flip smaller cuts of meat (steaks, chicken thighs, etc . . .) and was thinking of going with a pigtail flipper. Anyone have a pigtail flipper that they like using? Thanks.

I've used a pig tail, many times. They work great, but I'd rather use tongs. As stated above, not too excited about poking extra holes in the meat.

Matt

No forks for me. I use tongs, spatula or gloved hands to get the job done.

I use tongs for just about everything. I have 5-6 pairs strategically placed around the grills/smoker

Spatula for burgers and fish, tongs for everything else.

I got a pair of pig tail flippers (big and small) after watching numerous teams use them on BBQ Pitmasters. I use them at comps and at home and only use tongs very rarely now. Pigtail flippers have numerous advantages like:
1. They won't mess up the appearance of your meat or take off the rub like tongs do.
2. They offer a more secure grip on the meat.
3. People worry about meat juice "loss" but the amount is really minimal and worth not messing up your meat seasoning. Meathead did a more extensive review on this on his amazingribs.com site.

If a spatula or tongs won't do, I use a pair of these gloves.
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-167L-Heavyweight-Gauntlet/dp/B000BZ8K4M?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0"]Wells Lamont 167L Heavyweight PVC Coated Work Gloves with Gauntlet Cuff and Cotton Fleece Lining, Large, Green - Work Gloves - Amazon.com[/ame]

I also use tongs for smaller pieces of meat and gloves for anything larger.

Below are the tongs I have. Not had too much issue with messing up the appearance of the meat. Besides, while I want it to look pretty, not like I do comps or anything like that...

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-12-Inch-Tongs-Silicone/dp/B003L0OYK8"]Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Black Silicone Heads: Food Tongs: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I have a pig tail and can't remember the last time I used it. I have a couple good pairs of tongs that I have come to rely on.

I use them for dunking chicken thighs in sauce at comps.

Yup, that's what I saw teams doing on Pitmasters so that was the primary reason I bought them (in addition to the review on amazingribs.com where he mentions the loss of moisture is negligible). I also found that using them with steaks, tri-tip, etc. is good so I don't lose rub (always thought it was such a waste to see tongs covered in seasoning at the end of a cook).

I bought one and didn't care for it. It was akward for me...maybe i needed the lefthanded model

I have one and have only used it a couple of times. Prefer tongs as I'm usually cooking no more than two pieces of meat.

I do see them being used all the time around these parts - the big Santa Maria pits where they're cooking dozens of pieces of meat at the same time. They work very efficiently. The Pig tails are very sharp/pointed and strong. Very small holes if any at all.

Tongs at home for any grilling, but I use the pigtail whenever I'm smoking. I like that it doesn't mess up the rub when putting ribs on especially. Its also nice to reach to the back to grab the other side of a rack then grab the close side with a glove when wrapping.

I have a set and use them pretty regularly along with tongs. I find they give you good control of the meat and the cleanup is a breeze. I use them most for small cuts like steak and they're also great for bacon! Large cuts like pork butts I use gloves.

Back