Pork butt vs Picnic for Flavor

Better Flavor Picnic or Butt?

• Picnic

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Butt

Votes: 40 62.5%

• Total voters
I personally prefer the flavor of the picnic and do on occasion use them. However, I mainly use butts due to the convenience, simplicity, less labor, and less shrinkage/waste.

It really comes down to a matter of individual personal preference.

All I've ever had is picnics, never see any butts around here, or they are called something different. Saved the skin from the last one and made cracklins......Yummm!

Pork Butt, Shoulder Butt Roast, Boston Butt Roast.

Picnic tends to be a bit more ham-my. I think the butt has more fat content, I prefer the flavor, and like that you generally get more bark on a butt than a picnic that is 1/2 covered with skin.

Butt all the way.
I've heard the "hammy" comment before but that's gotta be from people eating enhanced product...sure not from natural. There's a ton of fat content in a picnic and for bark just remove the skin..use for cracklins.

Bark galore and definitely plenty of fat.

Butts 4 me

Butts/bone in for me, so I tell when it is done..More fat=more flavor and moister..Don't see many butts around here unless you go too Restaurant Depot,then you have buy 18-22 lbs.
Picnic's have alot of waste unless you fry the skin:roll:
DanB

I've heard the "hammy" comment before but that's gotta be from people eating enhanced product...sure not from natural. There's a ton of fat content in a picnic and for bark just remove the skin..use for cracklins.

Bark galore and definitely plenty of fat.

I can see the "hammy" part, but to me it has to do with the longer strings when pulled, like you get when you pull a ham, yes, I've pulled a ham for sandwiches.

Here all this time I've assumed "hammy" was referring to taste come to find out you can see "hammy" Who woulda thunk :doh: :laugh:

Here all this time I've assumed "hammy" was referring to taste come to find out you can see "hammy" Who woulda thunk :doh: :laugh:
This is the only example I am aware of. And it's only because, like I said, I've pulled a ham. If the picnics you cooked were like the ones I've cooked, you might have noticed that the fibers were longer than with a butt.
I can't vote, because, to me, they are two different things. I can understand why some people cook both and mix them.

This is the only example I am aware of. And it's only because, like I said, I've pulled a ham. If the picnics you cooked were like the ones I've cooked, you might have noticed that the fibers were longer than with a butt.
I can't vote, because, to me, they are two different things. I can understand why some people cook both and mix them.

So what you're saying is that you made up your own definition of "hammy" and it's synonymous with stringy.

So what you're saying is that you made up your own definition of "hammy" and it's synonymous with stringy.
No, I'm saying that I've cooked the upper hind leg of a pig, called a fresh ham, like I would cook a pork butt. The texture of that ham, when pulled, was more like a picnic than it was like a butt.

I love a good picnic, but love it when a good butt is around to enjoy too:tongue::becky::laugh:

Attachments

• 20150314_100408.jpg
    20150314_100408.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 52
  • pork picnic shoulder 9.jpg
    pork picnic shoulder 9.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
Never smoked a Picnic, so the next time I want Pulled Pork I need to get a Butt and a Picnic. Win win right :wink:

I've only smoked one picnic and it was great, but seemed a lot more hassle and work than a butt. It was good, but so are all of my butts, so I just stick with bone-in butts. less work and just as good and cheaper.

I'm going to keep on removing the skin for a separate cook....WOW what a treat!

Also I wonder if some voting have never cooked a picnic IDK.

The skin is the ultimate pleasure! I made pernil hot and fast with picnic with the vortex and snacked on the skin until I almost got sick haha. Then I chopped up the remaining skin and mixed it in with the pulled meat for cuban sandwiches...heaven!

Back