Do you use lighter fluid?

bbqchicken

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I do not use it. I took this pic a few weeks ago at a market. Why would I want to cook with poison? I don't get it. Chimney starter or weed burner is the way to go right fellas?

Attachments

• IMG00777-20110917-1156.jpg
    IMG00777-20110917-1156.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 363
I think most will come out against lighter fluid. I use an oiled paper towel, a torch or a chimney.
Remember, alcohol is a poison and I use that - without even putting it on the grill!

No way, we never use it! We use starter cubes or newspaper sprayed with pam under a chimmney of coals.

Haven't in probably fifteen years or more. I used to use the chimney most of the time, but nowadays I use the weed burner mostly unless camping or traveling. Then I'll use a chimney with starter cubes.

I have skipped past all the comments because I pretty much know what people are going to say. So... I thought I would spend a few paragraphs explaining what a simple sentence would.

I sat down one day and listened to a guy talk about how he was a master at BBQ and how one should never ever use lighter fluid. I waited silently as he went on and on and knew there would be the claim that he could detect the use of lighter fluid in a morsel of bbq. In my BBQ old age I am getting more and more winded at explaining things to people like this and often exit the conversation without ever revealing my credentials on the subject.

But then Boshizzle I think said something funny in another post about using two half filled charcoal chimneys instead of one completely filled one. I laughed then hit this thread.

As we have discussed barbecue idiosyncrasies here many times the rule is.... perhaps it might. Perhaps dry wood can produce better results than wet wood (soaking) perhaps bark affects taste negatively, perhaps foiling is detrimental or cheating, perhaps low and slow is best, perhaps hot and fast will ruin cue, and now, perhaps lighter fluid should not be used.

It really depends what idiot is using it and what type of equipment the idiot is using and lastly, what the idiot does once he lights it.

For instance, I can take a bag of presoaked charcoal, use green wood and if I am not an idiot, you will never know. How? In my Brazos Pit, while keeping every door open, I will light the bag in my 4 foot by 4 foot firebox I will start the fire, then place 40 pounds of regualr charcoal on that and several bark on sticks to build a roaring fire. At a good time, I shut the pit up and bring it to 375... then when I see fit... put 700 pounds of meat on. (the meat naturally settles my pit down to 275.

Now the guy that tosses that bag on his Spicewine... ?????????

As everyone knows or used to know I use an on board gas assist (on my Meat Mama 3000) or butcher paper AND old fryer grease (on my Brazos) most of the time to wick my start up fire. But have I used lighter fluid to start my Weber? yep! So the hell what... I just refuse to put the lid on until I know its gone...

We all saw Myron use lighter fluid, cook with green wood at 350 or so (breaking three old rules simultaneously) to basically make this same kind of commentary. Perhaps it may make a difference.

Here is where it will make a differnece. If you use too much fluid for your pit and the pit is too unforgiving (small) and close up too soon before its gone... hell yes... you are an idiot and should not be using it.

Everything is poison. The dose makes the difference. Water can kill you if you drink too much of it (remember the radio promotion a few years ago...how long can you hold your wee to win a wii where a contestant died from water intoxication?).

There are poisons and carcinogens everywhere. Fortunately, humans are pretty well equipped to deal with them...even alcohol. :D

Back to the original issue: to use or not to use. Probably doesnt much matter. Would expect lighter fluid to burn off before affecting the flavor of whatever you're cooking.

Bruce

If you use too much fluid for your pit and the pit is too unforgiving (small) and close up too soon before its gone... hell yes... you are an idiot and should not be using it.

You made your point clear. I try to avoid situations where it might be a problem. For example I avoid eating too many beans because I get the farts.

I use it. I use it to light charcoal (just part of it) and that lights the rest of it in my chimney and that gets added to the basket for a minion method start. Any and all fumes or hazardous products in the fluid burn off long before the fluid-added charcoal gets anywhere near the rest of the unlit charcoal or the meat. It's quick and simple. No mess to clean up afterwards.

Someone ran a poll here a while back and I believe 98% or better are against using starter fluid. Whatever method you choose, it's all about what works for you.

I have found that a little lighter fluid on a Q-tip is very effective at removing earwax after a good bender.

That and removing leftover tape gunk.

Otherwise it has no redeeming qualities.

Last edited:
should it be banned?....BAN!

Ban on Barbecue Lighter Fluid

October 12, 1990
The South Coast Air Quality Management District (Part A, Oct. 6) has acted to cleanse the basin of the scourge of barbecue lighter fluid. This bold, damn-the-torpedoes move, we are told, will reduce our daily dose of air poison by two tons.
With one of the new, cleaner-burning gasolines trimming 15 tons from the 6,300 tons said to come from cars each day, we shall soon be back to blue skies again.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10...ecue-lighter-fluid-two-tons-pacific-palisades

Lighter Fluid... best stuff to use when you boil ribs

I use it regularly for basting. I never use it for starting my pit fire because diesel and a blowtorch work much better. :boxing:

BTW, newspaper ink is pretty safe these days. Since 1985, it has been only carbon black...non-toxic. So no one should even be able to tell you that newspapers will kill you. If they do, refer them to me. I'll fend 'em off. Use a chimney starter. Or a torch. Or anything that ISN'T lighter fluid.

Back