• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fab b

Do you use fab?

• Like it

Votes: 47 21.8%
  • Hate it

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • Never have but want to

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • Never have

Votes: 50 23.1%
  • What is it?

Votes: 61 28.2%

• Total voters
I'm still not completely sure one way or the other. I've only used it once, at our last comp. Cooked two briskets, one injected with FAB B Lite and one with no injection. We cut the FAB B Lite with apple juice. The brisket with the FAB injection produced way way more juice and was more tender. However the other non injected brisket had a better taste. We turned in the non injected brisket and placed 17th out of 72 teams, our best showing ever in brisket (only three comps done total). We did take the juices from the injected brisket, poured into a pan and then took the slices from the non injected brisket and soaked/cooked them in the juices for a few minutes before placing in the turn in box. I think that helped. I look forward to doing another cook with the FAB B Lite cut with water.

I cut the amount in half that it calls for.Seems to work better for me.

My thoughts and opinion are here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32106&page=6

entry number 116

In those opinions you say 'using Fab is cheating' LOL thats insane! Fab has chemicals thats a fact, but so does almost every sauce, rub, and marinade out there. So if your using any rub or sauce are you cheating? Also, using Fab does not guarantee a win, not even close! I know tons of teams who have used it and tanked! I also know tons of teams who use it and win. If it was an aromatic EVERYONE would use it. I was at a comp. this weekend and my brisket placed 1st and I do NOT use Fab...but several teams there do! :-D

Mike

Serious question here....I put together a mix of FAB-B and did'nt use it all. I put the balance in a plastic bag a put it in the freezer to use for later. Was that wise?

In those opinions you say 'using Fab is cheating' LOL thats insane! Fab has chemicals thats a fact, but so does almost every sauce, rub, and marinade out there. So if your using any rub or sauce are you cheating? Also, using Fab does not guarantee a win, not even close! I know tons of teams who have used it and tanked! I also know tons of teams who use it and win. If it was an aromatic EVERYONE would use it. I was at a comp. this weekend and my brisket placed 1st and I do NOT use Fab...but several teams there do! :-D

Mike
So then what do you use?:biggrin:

Fab has chemicals

Somebody once went crazy on me here when i mentioned that fab was chemicals i cant find it maybe it was deleted
they were right its all natural:rolleyes:
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein -- The extraction process of hydrolysis involves boiling in a vat of acid (e.g., sulfuric acid) and then neutralizing the solution with a caustic soda. The resultant sludge is scraped off the top and allowed to dry. In addition to soy protein it contains free-form excitotoxic amino acids (e.g., MSG) and other potentially harmful chemicals including cancer-causing chemicals in many cases. A newer method of hydrolysis involves the use of bacteria by itself or in addition to the chemical processes described above. There is a possibility that genetically-manipulated bacteria may be used.

The food industry sometimes uses large amount of hydrolyzed proteins as a "taste enhancer" because it contains significant amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is what is known in the food industry as "Clean Labels" -- adding MSG to food, without having to list it as "MSG" on the label.

In almost all cases, hydrolyzed soy protein contains a significant amount of genetically-manipulated soy. The hydrolyzed protein products currently added to foods should be considered a detriment to one's health. There are much healthier sources of soy protein and soy nutrients.

sodium phosphates: It is sometimes employed as a laxative for foals and calves

autolyzed yeast extract:Autolyzed yeast extract is generally used as a flavour enhancer, & sometimes as a binder, in prepared foods. It's a form of dead yeast cells, treated to break up the cellular walls to allow for easy dissolving. Yeast extracts are high in protein & the amino acids that can cause reactions with MAO inhibitors but when they're used as additives in food, the concentration is usually too low to cause a problem unless you're eating a lot of that product e.g.- soup or gravy concentrates. They generally are used to give a richer or meatier taste to foods.

disodium inosinate:usually made from meat (especially sardines or other fish), may trigger gout and is not permitted in foods for infants or young children

xanthan gum:Gum-like substance extracted from natural sources and used mainly as thickeners, gels, stabilizers, emulsifiers, binders, or humectants in variety of processed foods, can cause allergic reactions or act as a laxative

BTW My opinion is the same asa sign i see on a red trailer very well known up in these parts:

FAB MAKES IT BETTER!

Thanks for the compliment Tim.... :rolleyes:

No I have not used it, nor will I. There are too many chemicals and hormones in the food we eat already. Why add more?

I have not found any results, and probably never will, but I strongly feel that all of the health related issues we have, including some of the cancers, are a result of all of the chemical/hormone treated food.

I guess I am too much of an old "fart", and like it the old fashioned way too much.

Give me natural herbs and spices any day. More natural and better tasting.

Why even some here that use it say how it gives the meat a funny after taste....:eek:

Ok, enough for this topic.

NEXT...

There are no hormones in Fab B and there is absolutely no implication that it causes cancer so this rant is completely out of line. The sky is not falling dude.

If you know how to smoke meat and have an excellent rub, why would you need a chemical flavor enhancer?

I don't know what is in that stuff, but whenever I have eaten meat that has been tainted with it, I have to RUNNNNN to the john within 10 minutes.

Gotta be something in FAB (Fabricated Another Brisket) that causes that!!!!

Smoke On!!!!!!

I think your plumbing is the problem Ed because nobody else has that problem. You might want to get yourself checked out.

Now that is funny!!!!!! I hate it when I have to get that done.
Smoke On!!!!

Have heard of it, have never tried it, don't know if I ever will. Good and bad points have been made.
I am still new to the contest thing, so I will work on bettering my products through trial and error for now.

You can win with it or without it. I can cook a brisket until it is falling apart and it is not dry. I say, do what works for you and enjoy it. I have not used it myself, but one of the guys I cook with does use it and I really didn't notice any great results as far as moisture goes. That said, I know guys who do use it and do well. Turning in a winning brisket is about a lot of things being done right not just one.

I have been tempted to order it because I am always looking for ways to improve my final product, but I haven't because of the posts here regarding its availability. Maybe in the future.

Brisket has been a tough one for me. That said, there are a bunch of good teams here in TX and I have my work cut out for me. My best brisket finishes this year have been final table with 101 teams, 9th place with 32 teams, 4th place with 37 teams and 15th place with 123 teams. I feel like thats not to shabby for only cooking 11 comps this year.

You can win with it or without it. I can cook a brisket until it is falling apart and it is not dry. I say, do what works for you and enjoy it. I have not used it myself, but one of the guys I cook with does use it and I really didn't notice any great results as far as moisture goes. That said, I know guys who do use it and do well. Turning in a winning brisket is about a lot of things being done right not just one.

I have been tempted to order it because I am always looking for ways to improve my final product, but I haven't because of the posts here regarding its availability. Maybe in the future.

Brisket has been a tough one for me. That said, there are a bunch of good teams here in TX and I have my work cut out for me. My best brisket finishes this year have been final table with 101 teams, 9th place with 32 teams, 4th place with 37 teams and 15th place with 123 teams. I feel like thats not to shabby for only cooking 11 comps this year.
It is readily available and ships quick now

What's Fab :confused:

A magazine.
rainbow.gif

What's Fab :confused:

It's a hollowed out jalapeno stuffed with cheese, often cream cheese and sometimes pulled pork or other meat. The whole thing gets wrapped in bacon and then cooked until the bacon is crisp.....they're really good...

Oh, you asked about Fab....nevermind. :oops:

It's a hollowed out jalapeno stuffed with cheese, often cream cheese and sometimes pulled pork or other meat. The whole thing gets wrapped in bacon and then cooked until the bacon is crisp.....they're really good...

Oh, you asked about Fab....nevermind. :oops:

Hey now that sounds good. We should give it a name. How about Bacon Piñata ?

Back