Need help on a sauce for pulled pork

northof8

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to make some pulled pork tomorrow since the family is coming. I don't put anything on ours but I don't know if anyone in the family does. Is there some kind of sauce I can buy and or mix that will good if they want some to put on? I know the local store has famous daves and sweet baby rays but not sure what else. I don't want to buy up a bunch of sauces I'll never use again.

My wife has one of the best recipes I have ever had for pulled pork, but I do not have it with me. It's lots of vinegar, a little ketchup, some yellow mustard and some Tabasco. I think that's about it. One of the great things about this recipe is, like a good slaw recipe it only gets better over time. The longer everything soaks in the sauce, the more amazing it becomes and left overs are heavenly.

I made up some 18 individual sauces a while back and sampled each with our pulled
pork, including 2 of Sweet Baby Ray's, others, plus Blues Hog's, and our own. Ends
up we like ours and Blues Hog original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red best, but our
most favorite is 1/3 mixture of ours and BH original and BH TR. If you're really a
fan of a vinegar sauce, frankly, it's hard to beat BH Tenn Red.

Ours is a mixture of tomato sauce, pure cane syrup, grape jelly, worchestershire sauce, cayenne, and I put in a little of our rub to tie it all in.

"frankly, it's hard to beat BH Tenn Red."

I've never tried it but for vinegar based sauces I think Bone Suckin Sauce is about as good as it gets.

BH original is very sweet, and I see why some prefer it as a glaze on ribs. I was most
surprised by the Tennessee Red. I like vinegar sauces *ok*, but man this one is
really something else. I use it now on pulled pork or beef regularly. It's pretty hot
(for an over-the-counter sauce) and peppery, but with more flavors than just the
hot and vinegar. I HIGHLY recommend it for a vinegar sauce.

We'll present our pork with 2 sauces next weekend (in a competition), and one of
the sauces may be plain old Blues Hot Tennessee Red.

I think a lot of the other guys around here highly recommend Head Country. I haven't
tried it yet, but probably will soon.

I like head country if I dont have any of my homeaid on hand wish i could share that recipe but id have to kill ya:boxing:

For store bought sauce Sweet Baby Rays is quick and easy and most people like it.

If you have folks that like a little kick try Roxys Mustard Sauce, it is now my favorite on pork.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes

Yea, post it and shoot him :laugh::laugh:

lol well it has tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, spices, tabasco, and Jack Daniels and probably some other stuff, don't have my recipe in front of me I have about a case and a half in the cave I make it in a 40 qt turkey fryer at a time and can it, that should get you close if you can figure out measurmants anyway:laugh:

I was most surprised by the Tennessee Red. I like vinegar sauces *ok*, but man this one is really something else. I use it now on pulled pork or beef regularly. It's pretty hot (for an over-the-counter sauce) and peppery, but with more flavors than just the
hot and vinegar. I HIGHLY recommend it for a vinegar sauce.

I agree about the Tennesee Red, it's perfect for pulled pork. I just ordered 3 more jars of it from Great Lakes and I'm going to try to clone it. The wifey has a much more sensitive palate than I do, so she will be my official taste tester. Once I have a recipe I think is close I'll post it.

Northof8, I'm like you and just like the pig. But sometime and little more is needed. Just a few shots of Frank's Hot Sauce is good. But I also make a vinegar sauce that does great cutting through the richness of the all powerful Pork Fat.

A little salt, a lot of Black Pepper, crushed red pepper, a little sugar (molassas, honey, maple syrup, brown sugar...whatever you have and like), Cajun Power Garlic Sauce and a bunch of Apple cider vinegar.

This stuff is simple and really good. If I do say so myself.:becky:

This is what we do for traditional pulled pork at my house....
MMMMMMMMMGood!!!

Lexington Dip Sauce
3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 tblsp. Sugar
3/4 cup Ketchup, 1/4 cup Water
1 tblsp. Crushed Red Pepper, Salt & Black Pepper to taste
Combine in sauce pan over medium low heat, let simmer for 20 minutes.
Lexington Red Slaw
1 lb. chopped Cabbage
1/8 cup Dip Sauce plus 2 Tablespoons
Mix and place in Fridge for at least 30 minutes..

Back