KCBS Contest Map Application

T

The Pickled Pig

A few weeks ago Todd (Plowboy) suggested I create an interactive mapping application that visually depicts contest locations. A version of such an application is now available for anyone's use.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppapps/contesthub/contestmapper.cfm

The pushpins have info and links tied to them (i.e., results for prior contests). And you can use the legend to narrow the view to weekly.

Mod Note:

This map is no longer available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very very cool.... That will save me a lot of time comparing where everything is...

Thanks Paul...

Shouldn't this say brought to you by Plowboys BBQ somewhere? :biggrin:

Good job bringing it to life, Paul. Are you going to run with some of the other ideas?

Historical results - See results from each contest by drilling in on the push pins

Personalized profiles - teams and judges can set their own schedules for the year. You can see where a team has been and where they are going.

This could turn into a social networking site where people start looking at the schedules of their friends and/or rivals. You can choose to go to or avoid a contest based on who is planning to be there.

KCBS REALLY should be considering these kinds of progressive ideas. But, like any government organization :wink:, private enterprise has to push innovation.

Shouldn't this say brought to you by Plowboys BBQ somewhere? :biggrin:

Good job bringing it to life, Paul. Are you going to run with some of the other ideas?

Historical results - See results from each contest by drilling in on the push pins

Personalized profiles - teams and judges can set their own schedules for the year. You can see where a team has been and where they are going.

This could turn into a social networking site where people start looking at the schedules of their friends and/or rivals. You can choose to go to or avoid a contest based on who is planning to be there.

Historical results are there. Click on any contest from July 6 or eariler and you should see a link for the results. Would you rather see the results emedded directly in the info window?

The profiles and networking stuff will come but that's a little more involved from a development standpoint. If folks like this type of format, I might get something up in time for the 09 season.

There's a lot of functionality that can be added to this application. Contest ratings and reviews, weather overlays, street level camera views of the contest sites, team maps, ranked team maps, rep maps, etc. Unfortunately, I'm a one man operation and I'm not very good or very fast and easily get distracted so it may take a while.:p

How about Grand, Reserve, and category winners in the window? That would be cool.

I think it is awesome. If you did decide to enhance it, it would be interesting to show a year view.

Unfortunately, I'm a one man operation and I'm not very good or very fast and easily get distracted so it may take a while.:p

Psssh... take your time; you've already passed the KCBS in getting this far! Awesome work and concept, gentlemen.

MMA, are you taking notes?

Great job, Paul!

Since we're dreaming, how about some other suggestions...

1. Somehow indicate whether a comp is a State Championship or Jack qualifier
2. When (or if) you get to the point of personalization, is it possible to include distance and driving time from a team's home address?

Thanks for putting that together!

Great job, Paul!

Since we're dreaming, how about some other suggestions...

2. When (or if) you get to the point of personalization, is it possible to include distance and driving time from a team's home address?

Thanks for putting that together!

I don't think he'll be able to tell what is a Jack Qualifier. You don't have to be a State Championship to be a Jack Qualifier. Nor are all State Championships Jack qualifiers.

As Todd guessed, I don't have the Jack information would need to find a reasonable way to get it. KCBS does publish State Championship status but I haven't been collecting it since I didn't realize I might actually want to use it until this very moment.:cry: This may be a feature I add on a forward looking basis rather updating past records.

Absolutely. At least to an extent. I don't have the actual contest addresses, just the cities. As a result, the geocoding is only done to the city level but it can still provide approximate mileage, drive time, and directions from a known starting point. This can be automated once personalized but I think I can at least add a link for the time being. I'll work on it later this week.

The API is pretty flexible and chances are, if we can think of it, it can be done. I just need an idea and a data source.

Back