Anyone has an outside living Trailer pit?

htrisna

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm a phone call away from ordering a trailer pit from Lone Star Grillz, but it would most likely live backyard on pavers. Exposed to the elements. Texas blazing heat. I'll get a Sunbrella cover. Provided that I oil my pits as best as I can, does anyone experienced with this have objections or suggestions?

Will the tires rot in that heat and rain?

Put it up on blocks and pull the wheels off and stow 'em away the will dry rot. I had one pop the tread right off the casing( not a recap either) on a trailer that was settin in the barn due to the heat.

What Bludawg said and put the tire away from the sunlight.

Put it up on blocks and pull the wheels off and stow 'em away the will dry rot. I had one pop the tread right off the casing( not a recap either) on a trailer that was settin in the barn due to the heat.

I love that Bludawg, a lot of folks don't know what a recap is!

They should. They're always laying on the side of the freeway everywhere lol

Actually, there was a study a few years back that found that most "gators", or tread strips from tires, were from virgin tires and not re-treads. I my self never had luck with re-treads from the 60's, so I never tried them later when they claimed they were ok. I never allowed a re-tread on any of my trailers, or my tractor when I was on the road. Just did not trust them. If I am broke down on the side of the road, I was not making any money. It was worth it to me to buy the best tires I could get, and replace them when they were worn down.

Omar

do they need to be stored in a cool place? would they rot even under a tarp or cover? I am assuming it is more about heat than uv damage. It probably gets hotter in my shed than out in the yard. hopefully somebody can straighten me out...

Pjtexas1, I'm still waiting on your reply to my P.M. Question a couple of weeks back,btw. :becky:

do they need to be stored in a cool place? would they rot even under a tarp or cover? I am assuming it is more about heat than uv damage. It probably gets hotter in my shed than out in the yard. hopefully somebody can straighten me out...

Pjtexas1, I'm still waiting on your reply to my P.M. Question a couple of weeks back,btw. :becky:

You posted to my profile or something. I replied there. That was the first time anyone had sent me a message like that. I'll pm you. Sorry

Not sure if it works or not, maybe someone here can help. I see people putting what looks like a spare tire cover on their RV's when they sit parked in the driveway. They also live in the blazing Texas heat. If it works, that is easier than taking the wheels off. Then again, removing the wheels is another level of security. I hope you get your LSG.

Not sure if it works or not, maybe someone here can help. I see people putting what looks like a spare tire cover on their RV's when they sit parked in the driveway. They also live in the blazing Texas heat. If it works, that is easier than taking the wheels off. Then again, removing the wheels is another level of security. I hope you get your LSG.

That's a question that's been around forever. I can't find the answer either. Some say yes some say it does more damage.

... I hope you get your LSG.

I got so many hurdles to get over but I have to find a way.

The side of my house (brown bricked house) has clearance of 2 car width with straight shot to the backyard

f110cfc3198458b8106cd3b175faf654.jpg

Challenge is, will the H.O.A. Allow me to pave a second driveway there.

If that's a go, then it'll be easy for me to store the pit in the garage, and haul it backyard for cooks.

Next hurdle, my Mazda CX7's towing capacity is only 2000#, where the pit I asked Chris to design for me will be 2700#. So unless I buy a new truck, I'll be limited to hauling this from garage to backyard. I won't put public safety in jeopardy.

Then I have to scrounge up the dough to pave that new driveway all the way to the back fence.

First world problems ....

Other option

Putting in a new driveway and buying a new Mazda sounds like a lot of extra cost. Maybe just put a garage door on the back side of the existing garage and leave the pit on wheels and wheel it out into the yard when needed.

Of course you can always buy a new house! ;)

(Yours is beautiful, but just sayin'.)

Great idea!! Behind the garage is our baby's bedroom. Let me see if my wife will let me knock that down.
:shock:

Putting in a new driveway and buying a new Mazda sounds like a lot of extra cost. Maybe just put a garage door on the back side of the existing garage and leave the pit on wheels and wheel it out into the yard when needed.

Of course you can always buy a new house! ;)

(Yours is beautiful, but just sayin'.)

Got a riding lawnmower? Unless it is a H U G E pit, most riders can pull a cooker-trailer around a bit (you can usually put a 3/4" shank ball in place of the pin that you use for the garden cart).

Another option - if'n you are having it built, maybe have them add a couple of removable legs or jacks on the back that you could put down (on pads), then take the wheels off. Or at least take the weight off of the tires.

Really though, a good trailer-rated tire will last a long, long time, even under the weight of the cooker. You just might be getting a little cautious. These things are pretty rugged.

removing the wheels is another level of security.

Someone lost a nice cooker 3 or so weeks back. Thieves just hitched it up and off they went.
Tires do have a shelf life, even if stored indoors - most have a date code on them.
You said you won't trailer it around. I'd pull the tires for safety reasons.

I think i'm overthinking this though. My CX7 can probably pull it just fine from garage to backyard.

Got a riding lawnmower? Unless it is a H U G E pit, most riders can pull a cooker-trailer around a bit (you can usually put a 3/4" shank ball in place of the pin that you use for the garden cart).

Just get a non trailer vertical offset and call your buddy who runs a crane to hoist it over fence...................

Turn the baby room into a BBQ cave. Don't ask just do it. Let the wife know you're the BOSS! :heh:

Back