Are you tired of crappy shaker bottles?

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Looks interesting, price is very reasonable if they hold up. I saw some on oakridge bbq website that are solid but pricey.

The rub gets stuck in the nooks and crannies makiing it impossible to seal the rub container. So now I throw the tops after use in the dish washer (or wash it under running water) and seal the rub container with saran wrap. When the top is clean I screw it down over the plastic. Air tight - somewhat.

The green parmasian container lids fit a mason jar as well. I just use a large wide mouth mason jar with the ring and two lids. I modify one lids with holes drilled to meet your needs( small, large, few,many). When I am done shaking I put the I modified lid on top of the one with holes and drew down the ring over both. Keep rubs fresh and spill free.

The green parmasian container lids fit a mason jar as well. I just use a large wide mouth mason jar with the ring and two lids. I modify one lids with holes drilled to meet your needs( small, large, few,many). When I am done shaking I put the I modified lid on top of the one with holes and drew down the ring over both. Keep rubs fresh and spill free.

great idea!

I keep all of my spices in mason jars. The large quantities is large jars to store. The every day use spices I keep in the small jelly jars that are about 2 inches tall. They are labeled on top. I keep them in the box I bought the jars in. They are in alphabetical order. Easy to find and keeps my spices fresh. Spices are too expensive to replace unnecessarily. Chili powder, whole peppercorn, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and such are in large jars.

I suggest making your own Rubs.

It's easy cost effective and has taught me which spices I like to use and the quantities to use to get the flavor profile I'm looking for in the Rub.

Make a batch and store them in Rubbermaid containers, I have four different recipes that I have tweaked to my liking and pretty much stick to. When it's time to use a Rub I'll pour out what I need in a saucer and use it to sprinkle the Rub on or my hand with thumb and fingers if I want to regulate how much rub is going on the meat.

No Shaker, no problem :wink:

I just use a large wide mouth mason jar with the ring and two lids. I modify one lids with holes drilled to meet your needs( small, large, few,many). When I am done shaking I put the I modified lid on top of the one without holes and drew down the ring over both. Keep rubs fresh and spill free.

This is what I do, works great!

Now that looks like an idea.... Love to hear how they work out. Let us know, will ya?
yup

The rub gets stuck in the nooks and crannies makiing it impossible to seal the rub container. So now I throw the tops after use in the dish washer (or wash it under running water) and seal the rub container with saran wrap. When the top is clean I screw it down over the plastic. Air tight - somewhat.
I read you should knock down any stuff getting caught in the lip after
using but we'll see in a few days when they come.

I know it'll be better than my current situation.lol

I'm tired of buying rubs to have the tops not staying closed tight, breaking and ruining my rubs. :tsk:

Also when you get bulk rubs what do you use?

I just found this and ordered some...wow can't beat the price imo. What do y'all think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ball-Regu...924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25907f0704

Please let us know how they work out for you. I've been looking for shaker bottles for a while now and this might be just the thing. I have a selection of Ball jars to pick from.

I typically re-use large Tone's spice containers. They fit your hand well and also hold a lot of rub. I use a lid with the large holes. I also occasionally use parmesan cheese shakers like the ones used at pizza restaurants. I drill out the holes in the lid (# of holes & size) to suit the rubs I make. Keep us posted on the ones you bought.

I don't usually keep rub stored unless I accidentally make too much. I do buy the large containers of herbs/spices for my bigger cooks and refill smaller containers for everyday use in cooking so this is an interesting idea.

Thx for post this, looks like a great idea. They are also sold on Amazon but are $5.35 for a set of 2, free shipping if you are a Prime member.

Thx for post this, looks like a great idea. They are also sold on Amazon but are $5.35 for a set of 2, free shipping if you are a Prime member.
Almost did but i'm cheap :biggrin1:...less on Ebay with free shipping, just takes longer.

I'm curious if the sealing caps will sit on the jar and still let the cap screw on over it? If so that would be real nice for sealing very tight.

Back