logo

Newbie smoker

BourbonBlue

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Im want to start smoking and I was looking to get a Shirley Fabrications smoker, but in the mean time I was wondering what would be a good starter smoker to get my feet wet until can get the big dog? Any thoughts? Likes or dislikes?

Thanks

Tom

You're my hero if your FIRST smoker comes with chrome rims and can cook 4 whole pigs a cow and 2 chickens

Id get a cheap charcoal grill/ smoker and a cheap offset. Cook on both and see which you prefer before you drop thousands on one particular grill

Weber Smokey Mountain maybe. You can definitely put out some good food on it an it and you won't break the bank while your SF is being built. Might be a nice alternative for days you don't want to fire up the big pit.

I'd suggest you look for a used offset on CL and burn some sticks to make sure that's the route you want togo before spending big bucks on a smoker. If nothing pops up on CL Academy Sports sells offset smokers that are decent, like the Old Country Pecos for $399.

Last edited:
^^^^^^ this. Unless you have really deep pockets and are impulsive as hell - go the craig's list route if you can. Only problem with CL (ok- there are a couple)- is selection is limited and often the seller has lost touch with reality with his asking price.

good luck.

Being that you want a Shirley right out of the gate I'd assume cost isn't a big issue for you so I'd say buy a kettle and a smokey mountain (might as well buy the 22.5 WSM). And like someone else said, order your Shirley while you're learning the basics.

Back