Is this what a butt is supposed to look like?

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Put two butts on at 6:30am, and averaged about 280. Pulled this one at 203 internal, and the bone twists easily. The other is in a bit of a stall at 189 so its still cooking. Going to foil the first one and give it a two hour rest. This is a first time butt cook for me. So far it seems to be going o.k.

OOPS! Forgot the pic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 252
Looks and sounds like you're doing it right! Temps are a guideline (yours sound right) - the bone is the indicator!

Looks like at least 37% of all the ones I've ever done......I crown 'em nowdays & that accounts for the other 63%..........

looks good to me and you cooked it until the bone wiggled free so it should be good eating. The other one will follow along.

PJTexas, ironically, I just said the same thing to the better half. Two butts from the same store, side by side in a ceramic. Almost an hour after pulling the first, the second is still about eight degrees away. Go figure.

Nice looking pork butt....

You will find some bones will wiggle at 187 and others will be at 200 and even above. For best results always test for being done by the bone wiggle, not by temperature.

Last edited:
Mad Man, you must be telepathic. I just pulled butt 2 with a 196 internal, and the bone almost jumped out when I opened the lid. Thinking I might be developing an addiction to this whole thing.:icon_blush:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 191
If you have to ask the question you normally know the answer. BUTTs LOL Do you flip the meat when doing it on a UDS so it browns and colours with nice bark on both sides even. TK's DouG

Please don't take this personal, but your butt looks great. Your dilemma is somewhat common. My personal opinion is that size, weight, or any other factors can be the same, but it's the density of the meat that makes the disparity in the IT or the time to reach done. Good luck as you continue on the great smoke journey, Joe

Only on this site would it not be weird for someone to ask others to look at their butt. :laugh:

You butts look good. Pretty close to what I get. From the sounds of it, you got it. :thumb:

Back