Cooking on another man's pit tomorrow...

TonyT

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Staying at a new family member's place this weekend for a memorial day party. I guess he cooks a lot of BBQ (never tried his food) and has a 55 gallon UDS. He's out of town for work until tomorrow afternoon, so I told him I could start the Q early. He told me his UDS doesn't have a diffuser, or a thermometer, but he's going to stock up on supplies so I don't have to bring anything. First time on a UDS, no diffuser or therm, don't have to pay for anything? Sounds like fun to me!

Got here an hour ago and noticed:

1. He has 10 new bags of matchlight (did he not see the KBB sale next to it??)
2. Next to the matchlight are 3 big bottles of lighter fluid
3. He has a Chimney (yes!), when I asked why I can't find newspaper at his place: "recycling was yesterday, we don't have any newspaper or magazines, use the lighter fluid"
4. The lid is warped and has more gaps than clean points of contact
5. The air intake is a 6x8" rectangle, no adjustments, just a hole
6. No charcoal ring
7. The entire UDS smells like burnt lighter fluid

His house, his pit, his way... will be an interesting experience. Going to use some paper towels to light the chimney, burn the chit out of that matchlight and hope for the best :pray:

Tony come to the dark side:shock::heh: You need to take him under your wing & educate him in the finer points of BBQ:cool:

Kinda funny he has match light and lighter fluid, fine for grilling i guess, but he should be fined for using it in a smoker

Maybe burn down some Matchlite (did I just Capitalize that word?) then go stickburner or burn down wood to coals on the thing......may be safer than trying to add any coals?

Other Thoughts Dept. :

Sledge hammer to straighten out the lid?

Brick to slide in front of the intake?

Only observations.....take whatever you can use......:heh:

Good luck man. No more than it costs, I think I would at least try to round up something other than matchlight. That would win half the battle right there.

Maybe burn down some Matchlite (did I just Capitalize that word?) then go stickburner or burn down wood to coals on the thing......may be safer than trying to add any coals?

Other Thoughts Dept. :

Sledge hammer to straighten out the lid?

Brick to slide in front of the intake?

Only observations.....take whatever you can use......:heh:

Not gonna mess with another man's pit... But I'm going to ride this thing till the lid comes off... which it very well might. Would actually be a favor to him if I did :laugh:

I know it's not a major deal, but looking in the cupboard, there's only table salt. Anyone have tips for adjusting the ratio? By weight still work?

Straighten the lid
pick up some decent charcoal
find something to control the intake
if he has 2 grates, use one on the bottom with bricks or rocks under it in lieu of a charcoal basket
give it a good burn-out before the cook
when he comes home tell him you don't have any experience cooking the way he does.
see if he notices any difference between what you cook and his usual
this shouldn't offend him

He did leave you in charge of the cook....

Not gonna mess with another man's pit... But I'm going to ride this thing till the lid comes off... which it very well might. Would actually be a favor to him if I did :laugh:

I know it's not a major deal, but looking in the cupboard, there's only table salt. Anyone have tips for adjusting the ratio? By weight still work?

weight works.
he has a scale?????

I think I would bite the bullet and swing by Walmart and spend the $8 on 30lbs of charcoal especially if you are eating as well. I would also see if I could find some big flat refrig magnets to help with the intake control. When he tastes the difference you can teach him what you did different and explain why. Good luck with the cook.

Go get some Stubbs for the cook, show him what real Q tastes like. Might also need some beer... Does the lid have a ring?
Keep us posted.

The only thing I can see where this isn't completely caustic is if the matchlight is being burned all the way down in the chimney and then shoved in periodically through the big hole in the bottom. It would explain the lack of any vents or diffuser. Sort of Carolina style. Would make for some good eating if ya had some good charcoal or wood to burn down. It would also explain the salt. Ya lay heck with that stuff and the crust formed protects from when ya get a little hot. :)

Back