Need Advice First brisket HELP

Clay-b-que

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am very excited to smoke my first brisket. So much so that I think I have officially overloaded on information. I have watched all the Franklin videos several times. I have read and re-read Bludawgs recipe and several others. So here are my questions.
1. I have a 13.5 lb brisket. I have read it takes 1-1.25 hours per pound. That would be around 16-17 hours on the long side. But bludawg and a few others say they can get a brisket done in 7 hours?!? What should I plan for? This makes all the difference in smoking all night or just starting in the morning.
2. I have also read that I should wrap at 4 hours. Is this true?
3. I have seen 250 (Franklin) temp, 275 bludawg temp, and 325 temp. Which one and I am assuming that the temp affects the time. Which one to use?

I know I need to check for probe tender and that is when it is done, but I have to have this ready for a birthday party tomorrow afternoon around 4:00 and I don't want it not to be done. I can't afford to screw this $67 piece of meat up or my wife will never let me buy another brisket!

You have a lot of different information in your head and it is confusing you. The per pound is a lo and slo number...about 225 on the average temp.

275 is an intermediate temp I don't have a lot of experience with.

325 is normally a very easy temp to work with and is where the 4 hour wrap probably came from.

I cook at 300 but when you cook on a stick burner your in a temp Zone I like to keep it with in 25 deg up or down

My experience is 250 at a hour per pound works out great with at least an hour of rest at the end wrapped with some liquid added. I use wine. Tender but holds together for presentation. Not that my family really cares about presentation when they smell that dinners ready!

I just finished one an hour ago. Mine weighed about 9 lbs trimmed, I used Bluedawgs method and it took six hours from start to probe tender at an average of 300 degrees. I wrapped it after four hours just like Bluedawg says. I have not sliced it yet but I think it is going to be good.

Jack

I cook between 275F and 300F, I don't sweat precise temperature too much, I use a UDS. It runs about 1 hour per pound, sometimes a little less. Or a little more.

I wrap in paper when the color looks just a hair lighter than what I want as a finished color, between 5 to 6 hours into the cook, usually.

So I decided to do the brisket overnight just in case of unforeseen circumstances. I set the UDS at 250ish and woke up every couple of hours to check it. I wrapped it at 5 hours. It was probe tender at 11 hours so I pulled it off and it is reaching room temp now and I am going to put it in a cooler for a few hours and then I am going to throw it back on an hour before we eat this afternoon. Will this be okay?

Also, the flat was not probe tender. It was tough. The point and middle was probe tender so that's why I decided to pull it off. Internal temp was 203. Did I do the right thing?

image.jpg1_zpsf3uotnvf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If the thickest part of the flat was not probe tender it was not done. Throwing it back on for another 30-60 minutes may fix it. Go by the probe regardless of temp. Don't even probe the point it will just trick you into thinking it is done.

Thanks PJ. The end of the flat is tough. The thick part of the flat where it meets the point is probe tender. Should I still throw it back on???

Thanks PJ. The end of the flat is tough. The thick part of the flat where it meets the point is probe tender. Should I still throw it back on???

That's totally different. You are good, no need to throw it back on. Sometimes the thin part of the flat at the end is just tough. I tend to trim it off since it has a tendency to burn/crisp up.

I suspect you pulled just a bit early.

When you pull vent then wrap back up, wrap in a few towels and put it in the cooler.done right and it will stay hot for 6 hrs or more, no need to reheat.

Back