Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub, first impression.

I love Oakridge rubs, but as has been mentioned, different strokes for different folk. :biggrin1:

I bought a bag of the Carne Crosta, and I don't necessarily love it either. I still need to experiment with it. I like the flavor of the Santa Maria better, and think that makes a better steak.

I also do not like Dominator because of the Cinnamon/Nutmeg in it. My go to for ribs/pork/chicken is Secret Weapon or Competition.

I wasn’t being negative cause my son really likes that cinnamon flavor . I just seem to gravitate BACK to SIMPLE old standards that let the food flavor not be overpowered by rub...(yes I’m old school..SUE ME!!) ...Cavenders Greek seasoning on fish and chicken. 3 Eyez/Simply Marvelous pecan or something similar on pork. And beef either some pepper, salt and garlic tasting rub, usually a steak rub. And in almost all cases I tend to “mix” a little voodoo in just to change it up. But as always I love and APPRECIATE all the comments and opinions on here cause isn’t that half the fun....finding out what winds your own clock??!!

It's definitely a personal taste preference. I have Dizzy Pig Redeye. I thought I was going to love it but low and behold it has fenugreek and I hate that stuff. I like lower salt rubs because they give me control.

Have you tried the rub cooked on a steak yet? Curious to see what your impressions are after its been cooked with meat.

Have you tried the rub cooked on a steak yet? Curious to see what your impressions are after its been cooked with meat.

No, I haven't had the opportunity yet, hopefully soon. I'm going to give it a try, as-is, and see how it goes. If it's a rub made for steaks, it shouldn't need any additives IMO, should be good right out of the bag.

No, I haven't had the opportunity yet, hopefully soon. I'm going to give it a try, as-is, and see how it goes. If it's a rub made for steaks, it shouldn't need any additives IMO, should be good right out of the bag.

My favorite cut is ribeye! There is a chance it won't change you mind, but Carne Crosta is a rub I feel you can't judge til you try it cooked on meat. The coffee takes a different flavor to me. Wish I had something to trade if you don't like it! I'm running low Hehe.

I'm curious to know how a brisket turns out with it. I don't think the coffee would compliment slow cooking like it does high heat searing. I haven't seen anyone try Carne Crosta brisket. If I missed it I would like to see how it turned out

This rub needs a little cooking finesse to let it sing. If you have a lot of grains after you cook then you didn't do it right. It works well with oil as an adhesive to hold a light dusting. When you get a really rocking heat and sear it you'll know things are going right when you see the rub bubbling along across the surface of the steak.

As a side note I have been using it 50/50 with santa maria and it works for both burgers and steaks.

As far as tasting something out of the bag and having to like it goes. I DO enjoy tasting a rub(and liking it) straight outta the bag, but some of my faves started out as a zonk on the finger test(suckle busters hog waller comes to mind).

My favorite cut is ribeye! There is a chance it won't change you mind, but Carne Crosta is a rub I feel you can't judge til you try it cooked on meat. The coffee takes a different flavor to me. Wish I had something to trade if you don't like it! I'm running low Hehe.

I'm curious to know how a brisket turns out with it. I don't think the coffee would compliment slow cooking like it does high heat searing. I haven't seen anyone try Carne Crosta brisket. If I missed it I would like to see how it turned out

No need for a trade, if I hate it after I try it, I'll send it to you for free.

This rub needs a little cooking finesse to let it sing. If you have a lot of grains after you cook then you didn't do it right. It works well with oil as an adhesive to hold a light dusting. When you get a really rocking heat and sear it you'll know things are going right when you see the rub bubbling along across the surface of the steak.

As a side note I have been using it 50/50 with santa maria and it works for both burgers and steaks.

As far as tasting something out of the bag and having to like it goes. I DO enjoy tasting a rub(and liking it) straight outta the bag, but some of my faves started out as a zonk on the finger test(suckle busters hog waller comes to mind).

I'm sorry, but a simple steak rub should not require finesse for it to turn out. If I cant just shake it on the steak, give it a nice sear, and have a taste great...no use having it in my pantry.

I cant stand cinnamon on anything, especially bbq. Oakridge is out for me then I suppose. Any recommendations for another non-cinnamon/nutmeg seasoning?

For the record, we only use cinnamon in one of our production rubs; Dominator Sweet Rib Rub. None of our other rubs, including Secret Weapon, contain any cinnamon.

I love Oakridge rubs, but as has been mentioned, different strokes for different folk. :biggrin1:

I also do not like Dominator because of the Cinnamon/Nutmeg in it. My go to for ribs/pork/chicken is Secret Weapon or Competition.

For the record, there isn't any nutmeg in any of our rubs.

No need for a trade, if I hate it after I try it, I'll send it to you for free.

I'm sorry, but a simple steak rub should not require finesse for it to turn out. If I cant just shake it on the steak, give it a nice sear, and have a taste great...no use having it in my pantry.

Hi Groundhog,

If you don't like it, we always honor our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, even if the rub was purchased from one of our dealers. Shoot me a PM and we'll either send you a replacement or a pre-paid return envelope and a refund. I firmly stand behind every product I make.

Regarding the rub itself, Carne Crosta is our most technical rub and it does require some cooking skill and finesse to really make it shine. I designed it that way on purpose. I don't apologize for it and I realize it may not be for everyone and that's OK. :thumb:

Hi Groundhog,

If you don't like it, we always honor our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, even if the rub was purchased from one of our dealers. Shoot me a PM and we'll either send you a replacement or a pre-paid return envelope and a refund. I firmly stand behind every product I make.

Regarding the rub itself, Carne Crosta is our most technical rub and it does require some cooking skill and finesse to really make it shine. I designed it that way on purpose. I don't apologize for it and I realize it may not be for everyone and that's OK. :thumb:

Mike,

I'll follow the directions (if there are any), and give it a shot. I'm not writing it off, just sharing a first impression.

No apology should even be necessary, you make your products to your specifications...and that's a good thing. :thumb:

Mike,

I'll follow the directions (if there are any), and give it a shot. I'm not writing it off, just sharing a first impression.

No apology should even be necessary, you make your products to your specifications...and that's a good thing. :thumb:

I second that Mike. I still ordered from you and my seasonings are on the way to Cali as we speak...or type :mrgreen:

Secret Weapon for pork, Black Ops for Brisket, and Habanero Death Dust for Wings are by far my favorite go-to rubs.

I think Santa Maria and Carne Costa are good, but with steak I’m a traditionalist and it’s hard to beat SPOG and a hot flame. Dominator started off strong in my book, but after a while I grew tired of cinnamon, I don’t know why but I’m just like that with that spice (including in our local famous coney island chili dogs).

Everyone’s taste buds are different, but I know my palette has been greatly expanded and ive tried a lot of things I never thought I would because of them.

I was a bit skeptical I would like the Carne Crosta after smelling it, I don't enjoy coffee. If you sear over high heat (I use mesquite wood coals in a Vortex) it doesn't taste like coffee at all and you get a killer crust with it. It's my personal favorite out of all the steak seasonings I've tried, doesn't overpower the taste of a good cut of beef.

I've used it with and without olive oil so you can easily just sprinkle it on and sear away if you want to.

Ok! Like groundhog I was skeptical about this rub, I thought out of bag it was bitter/coffee tasting! Sooo I got a couple porterhouse and seasoned 1 with blue star! & 1one with blue star /carne crosta ! And Tim knows my wife,! she loved the cc steak! And I also love the mellowness that happened with this rub! The cook was indirect with a wio smoke and seared to a med rare! I'm a believer! I really didn't think I would like it! I love it!

Hi Groundhog,

I didn't like it out of the bag! But really really great on a seared steak!

Back