Smoking a Chuckie for some Chopped Beef

Oh man that looks great. I have yet to do a chuckie that has turned out as juicy as that one looks!

Oh man that looks great. I have yet to do a chuckie that has turned out as juicy as that one looks!

I'm with Medic on this one. I've only done one and it could've been used to break windshields :tsk:. Temp control and perhaps wrapping it would be my friend. I've been looking to do another one with the Battle Box but they're more (per/pound) than brisket now! And over 6 lbs, that's a monster. We don't see any that big around here.

Looks great, though!

Joe

I'm with Medic on this one. I've only done one and it could've been used to break windshields :tsk:. Temp control and perhaps wrapping it would be my friend. I've been looking to do another one with the Battle Box but they're more (per/pound) than brisket now! And over 6 lbs, that's a monster. We don't see any that big around here.

Looks great, though!

Joe

I wrap in foil at 165 with a bit of worchestshire. Then take it up to 205. Try to keep my temp around 275. I get mine cut to the desired size at Costco.

Turned out lookin good but yer missing the pickle and onion on that sammich.

Some of the best looking pulled beef I've ever seen. Amazing looking color. Great job!

Please share the details of your cook. Fuel, water etc.

Some of the best looking pulled beef I've ever seen. Amazing looking color. Great job!

Please share the details of your cook. Fuel, water etc.

Started out with a 6lb prime chuck roast cut at Costco that I rubbed down with EVOO and a liberal coating of Slabs Wow Your Cow. Cooked on my vertical offset. Ran on 80% hickory and 20% cherry at 230-250 until I hit an internal temp of 165. Then wrapped in foil with worscheshire sauce and brought smoker up to 275 until I hit an internal temp of 205. Made sure it was probe tender. Brought inside and let rest for 40 mins. Pulled beef and tossed in a very small amount of Stubbs Mesquite BBQ Sauce with about 2 tbsp of cracked black pepper. Turned out amazing. Smoke flavor was spot on.

I went to Costco Saturday with plans to do the same. They didn't have any uncut chuck so I left with a pork butt, pork loin, and a pork belly instead. Not a bad consolation prize, but hopefully I will be copying you soon.

Back