WSM and Ash

ayb97

Reaction score
Just wanted to know how everyone gets their ash out of WSM after a cook. I usually use an empty can or a play shovel and scoop it into the empty charcoal bag.

Hot (not fully extinguished) ash will go in an empty steel can with a lid -- like a 13 gallon trash can. Use a fireplace shovel to get it in there.

Cold ash (at least a full day after extinguishing) I'll just tip the whole bottom bowl into a large plastic trash bag.

I wait until cold (usually when I'm getting ready for my next cook) and go the trash bag rout.

I got a locking lid steel bucket from Wally's awhile back, I use that for hot ash. If it's cold ash I just lift the bottom and toss it straight into the trash can. Ashes aren't supposed to be bagged here, for some strange reason.

It specifically says, "No hot ashes, place cold ash directly in bin." Because, yeaaah.

I wait until the ashes are cold (feel them with my hands).
Then I scrape down the bowl a little with my custom Weber scraper, pick up the bowl, walk over to the tree line and toss the ashes.

I toss my cold ashes on the goutweed I'm eventually digging out. Once I build my smoke shack in that spot I'll rotate where I put them in the garden and around shrubs and trees.

Scrape down the bowl alittle and walk over to the weeds or garden spot and dump. When cool of course.

FYI, you can make a nice scooper out of an empty 2-liter Coke bottle. Keep the cap screwed on, cut out a scooper/shovel shape from the bottom of the bottle.

Back