Royal Questions

Rub'n Wood BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So we are cooking the Royal this year (first time). It was primarily my employers idea as he is looking to host a party with clients and have our team cater. With that, I get the comp entry and meat paid for. My questions/concerns are not about the comp as we compete all the time, but rather in the vending.

We are not really a catering team and have little experience in it. Anyone willing to offer up things to plan for, bad experiences, liabilities, tips on planning for how much food to by, equipment on the site for both cooking and guest, experience from doing the same thing at the royal in past?

Just looking for any tips I can get so I can try to make this thing go smoothly and not embarrass myself or my office.

Aaron

Have all your meat pretrimmed and injected before you get there Friday.

Mod Note:

Since this question is about catering the party, not the competition, I am moving it to the Cooking for the Masses section of the forum.

So we are cooking the Royal this year (first time). It was primarily my employers idea as he is looking to host a party with clients and have our team cater. With that, I get the comp entry and meat paid for. My questions/concerns are not about the comp as we compete all the time, but rather in the vending.

We are not really a catering team and have little experience in it. Anyone willing to offer up things to plan for, bad experiences, liabilities, tips on planning for how much food to by, equipment on the site for both cooking and guest, experience from doing the same thing at the royal in past?

Just looking for any tips I can get so I can try to make this thing go smoothly and not embarrass myself or my office.

Aaron

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first year that teams have been allowed to vend at the Royal.

I believe it is. We do not plan to vend or sell to the general public, just cater to those in our party.

Sorry, I misunderstood your questions.

The Royal will have some unique qualities. Have your site fenced in. Friday night crowds can be huge, and bordering on rowdy. If you don't set up a border, you can quickly become a shortcut. Tuck the porta pot away in a safe location, but be able to move it up front to be serviced in the morning. If it's unattended, lock it! Move in as early as you can. Thursday afternoon and Friday morning can be insane, especially if you have a spot that's difficult to get into and your neighbors have already set up.

Back