• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sublime Smoke's Practice Run Massive Amounts of Pron

Great post!!

I can live vicariously through you all, and take comfort in the fact that I'm not the only farker here with greeeeezy welding gloves.

I'm pretty sure that everybody on this forum has greezy welding gloves lol. First time I got grease on them I was all worried about it, and scrubbed it off. Then i realized that grease is a biproduct of bbq, and it is to be embraced (if you couldn't also tell by my bbq shirt!

One thing that will help alot is to build your boxes the night before when you have extra time so that you aren't doing them when you're stressed. Just build them, put a damp paper towel over the greens, and then keep them in a cooler until you are ready for them. It eliminates a lot of stress.

That was the plan also. We built it during the downtime of the practice run, so just in case we have to do it, we can fit it in the schedule. I plan on doing a lot outside of the competition to save time during the competition (ie trimming meat, mixing injections, general prep work) because time is the enemy!

We buy more parsley than we need just so that we have enough of a similar color for each box. If you get stuck with off color parsley, put it under the meat and keep the good stuff for the part of the box that shows.

One note... Be careful cutting medallions out of leaf lettuce. If the medallions include the lettuce core, that is illegal garnish. Only leaves can be used.

Very good looking out for us on the medallions. I didn't know about that, and will definitely have to watch out for it.

I'm not judge nor a competitor, just a backyard smoker but from what I have read/seen on the bbq critic website, a suggestion mentioned for ribs was to keep the 'fingernails', where the meat pulled back from the end of the bone, down in the box. This will help with the appearance. With them up, the eye is attracted to them and may take away from the appearance.

Everything else was amazing to look at. You definitely are on the right track to getting a 'call'.

Dave

Great advice on the finger nails. That was one point I was trying to decide on. I'll definitely have to go with bones down on a weekend practice cook to see how it looks.

Holy farkamole, what a great set of mouth-watering pics and blow by blow! I don't do comps, but it sure looks like you're on your way!

Thanks Moose! I am lucky to have a friend that has a good camera and likes to take pictures lol. I'm hoping he is free competition day, so he can come up take some pictures and eat some bbq.

Looks really great Ren!! :thumb:

You're going to do real good my friend.

I am a comp rookie, but it all looks great to me...

Thanks THoey! I'm a comp rookie also :D

I wasn't that drunk... Lol:oops:
Anyway...Awa was true BBQ leader throughout the whole dry run (12hrs), he had the time line down. The brisket was so good,I tasted a slight pot roast flavor so we might not wrap so early next time. The ribs were the best I ever had..candy ribs! Chicken had a nice pecan smoke and was delicious. GOOD JOB AWA! Thanks for all your hard work to make this competition possible. 30 days to go...

Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback. Ron good lookin out on the leaf medallions rule!

If you weren't drunk, then none of us on the forums likes bbq! And thanks for bullying me into this competition hahahaha. I have enjoyed the practice times that I need to do preparing for it. The whole process leading up to it has been a blast.

Good luck in your adventure and my hat's off to you guys!! Those are some fine looking vittles!!!

Thanks Smoke!

I've always enjoyed your posts, but this was epic. Your friends and neighbors are lucky to have you. I don't know fark about comps, but you look like you are off to a great start. Good luck to the team.

I'm lucky to have my friends and neighbors. My friends always have my back and my neighbors are great and always have my back as well. This passion of mine is just something I'm able to share with them, as a way to say thanks to them for being in my life.

OOOHHHHHH YAYYYY

damn now I gotta wait................:bored:

:laugh:

Best of luck my friend

Not into the comp thing but I am into BBQ and yours looks great. Thanks for the pics and good luck to you guys in the future. :thumb:

Nicely done. Looks like a great time, great effort and a great result. Go kick some ass.

Looks like a great time and a great cook thanks for all the pron !!!!!!! awesome !!!!

Not into the comp thing but I am into BBQ and yours looks great. Thanks for the pics and good luck to you guys in the future. :thumb:

Doesn't matter if you are into comps or not as long as you are into the obession known as BBQ! Thanks for the kind words.

Nicely done. Looks like a great time, great effort and a great result. Go kick some ass.

It was definitely a fun time. Thanks for the well wishes.

Looks like a great time and a great cook thanks for all the pron !!!!!!! awesome !!!!

It was a great time all around. I'm glad I could share the pictures with the brethren.

Back