logo

Pitch it or fix it?

What should I do with my free COS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

33tango

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I got a Brinkman Smoke 'N Pit recently for free and am debating pushing it to the curb and posting that it's available for free on craigslist. After reading all the problems with the design and adding to that the fact I want to use a Pitmaster IQ110 I am looking for some advice. Should I spend $100-150 trying to make the COS work by sealing it up, adding a coal basket to the firebox, building a damper etc, or just spend that money towards something better suited to the job? The Brinkman is an older, earlier model that is basically sound but has all the design flaws that make it poorly suited to what I want to do. How much should I spend to get a good smoker that I can use the Pitmaster IQ 110? I am not looking to feed a multitude, just family and friends, maybe 10-20 people max.

If you don't mind going to a vertical smoker, then get a WSM. If you like offsets then you might want to look at something else like the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn which is pretty solid and well built. But it all depends on your budget.

If you don't mind going to a vertical smoker, then get a WSM. If you like offsets then you might want to look at something else like the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn which is pretty solid and well built. But it all depends on your budget.

I don't have a preference because I have little experience. I've smoked a whole 80 pound pig on a huge trailer mounted smoker that was an offset(A lot of checking the temp every 10 minutes and adjust the damper) and I smoked a butt two weeks ago on a tiny charcoal grill(that ran out of fuel mid smoke at 2am and had to be finished in the oven). I checked prices on the previously mentioned weber smokey mountain and see they are 200 for the 14 inch and 300 for the 18.5 inch on amazon.com. I wouldn't want to spend more than $300. I'm looking to see what else is available in that price range so I can make an informed decision.

The Char Broil Frankenstein. This setup was bad, couldn't get temp much over 200.

charbroilfrankenstein_zpse11bafcc.jpg

Last edited:
Since you have a clean slate [no preference] I would definitely go with the WMS.

Smoke n Pit

The first thing you have to do is make sure to seal ALL the leaks.
2. Extend the stack to the cooking grate.
3. Try tuning plates for even heat. I've tried but still have a BIG difference in temps from end to end. I'm getting to like the idea of having the different temps.I can smoke Hot N Fast and Low N Slow at the same time.
Not bad unit for the price you paid.:wink:
DanB

Is there some sort of downside to a vertical smoker? Sorry newbie here, still trying to read everything I can find.

Not in terms of quality of the food you put out. Vertical means there are limits to the cook area. But for the size cooks you want to do, something like a 22" WSM would work great.

There are two types of pit masters those that can cook on most every style of pit and can manage a fire and there are those that rely on techno crap an don't have a clue. You are in the second group get a WSM.

There are two types of pit masters those that can cook on most every style of pit and can manage a fire and there are those that rely on techno crap an don't have a clue. You are in the second group get a WSM.

I'm sure I could make it work(at a cost) but for unattended smokes at night yeah I'd like to use technology. Guilty as sin, love my sleep. Thanks for the advice!

If it were me, I'd hang onto it, and work on it, in your downtime. Meanwhile, I'd build a UDS (someone had to say it), and grab a used OTS/OTG, off of Craigslist. That should be well below your $300 budget, and give you plenty of cook space, and options.

Matt

Don't forget the enjoyment you would get by working on it and making it into a fine smoking machine. I have a Stumps that I love, but my neighbor was giving the smoker you have and showed him all the mods he should do to it. I am now jealous because I would have enjoyed making those mods and turning into a good a smoker.

Eric

I'm sure I could make it work(at a cost) but for unattended smokes at night yeah I'd like to use technology. Guilty as sin, love my sleep. Thanks for the advice!

Unless you are planning on having food ready before noon, there wouldn't be much of a need to cook at night.

If there is a Fire in the pit your A$$ needs to be awake. I cook Briskets & Butts in 8 hrs pr less I get plenty of sleep.

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for the WSM, I'm guessing Brinkman's knock off(Smoke N Grill) of it is a bad idea? The price is a six times less but you usually get what you pay for...

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for the WSM, I'm guessing Brinkman's knock off(Smoke N Grill) of it is a bad idea? The price is a six times less but you usually get what you pay for...

Don't know anything about the Brinkman's Smoke N Grill, but the WSM gets a lot of praise for a reason. Have had mine for 7+ years with no complaints. Easy to use and holds temps very well. Even better with the PitmasterIQ.

I got a Brinkman Smoke 'N Pit recently for free and am debating pushing it to the curb and posting that it's available for free on craigslist. After reading all the problems with the design and adding to that the fact I want to use a Pitmaster IQ110 I am looking for some advice. Should I spend $100-150 trying to make the COS work by sealing it up, adding a coal basket to the firebox, building a damper etc, or just spend that money towards something better suited to the job? The Brinkman is an older, earlier model that is basically sound but has all the design flaws that make it poorly suited to what I want to do. How much should I spend to get a good smoker that I can use the Pitmaster IQ 110? I am not looking to feed a multitude, just family and friends, maybe 10-20 people max.
Instead of this, offer to trade it for a Weber gold or Performer.

Back