What's your preferred sauce for ribs?

birgey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So how 'bout it? What kind/type of sauce do you put on your (pork) ribs? Do you like sweet? Or hot? Do you buy it or make your own?

I tend to like to use a rub with just a little kick/heat to it, and then the last 30 minutes-1 hour of smoking time put a sweet sauce on them. Balances out quite well.

There's a new(er) BBQ joint in town and he puts a molasses heavy sauce on his while cooking. On the table he has 4 different sauces to choose from...one sweet, one hot, one middle of the road, and then a cappacino one. I thought the cappacinno sauce was horrible, but that's just my preference.

Sauce on the side
Honey Apple BBQ Sauce#2

1 large apple chopped
1/2 small onion chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup - light brown sugar
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbs molasses
3 tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
process on high in blender simmer to desired thickness

Last edited:
I prefer sauce on the side, not on the ribs... I use Texas - Texas "Bad to the Bone" or Head Country Original..

Sauce on ribs? Why?

OK, I have actually have tried sweet baby rays and like it sometimes.

I don't always use sauce, but when I do, I prefer Stubbs.

Seriously though, I ain't had one of his sauces, or rubs for that matter that I haven't liked. I have made my own in the past, but anymore I just say effit and use Stubbs. One thing I like in particular is they don't use any horse s*** ingredients. That's one thing I look for in all foods. I think it's important to stay as natural as possible.

I usually put a bowl of sauce on the side in case someone wants any. I have on occasion sauced while cooking when asked by the ones I am cooking for. Most of them tend to lean to the sweeter side. I have used Stubbs, Sweet Baby Rays, Kraft, and Jack Daniels BBQ sauces and I thin them out with some orange blossom honey.

Head Country original is my standard. I keep trying others though.

I make my own Kansas City style sauce, but I might have a look at Stubbs based on J-Rod's post above.

Properly seasoned and cooked ribs don't need sauce. If the ribs are to dry they may need the moisture from a sauce. But that brings up another problem. I do serve sauce on the side for the unknowing.

Looks like I am in the minority here... I like a little sauce on my ribs. And no, they aren't dry. They don't "need" sauce, its just how i like them. I also like to try different sauces, but my go to is amplified/doctored up Blues Hog.

I make my own Kansas City style sauce, but I might have a look at Stubbs based on J-Rod's post above.

I would recommend Stubs as well. Interestingly I don't necessarily love a couple of his sauces when I tried them plain, but they taste most excellent on any of the meats I've put them on.

I use 3 parts Sweet Baby Rays and 1 part apple cider vinegar and sometimes I add a dash of habenaro death dust for some kick.

Recently I've been using the same sauce I serve on the side of my puled pork and its ben well received....took first place ribs a couple weeks ago at a local comp. Its actually a vinegar based sauce that has a little kick to it.

My ribs kick a$$ and don't need sauce. :mrgreen:

But when I feel like having sauce with my ribs, it's Big Butz Hot or Xtra Hot.

On the side, of course.

Yep...Big Butz for the win!! In-laws live just north of Spooner during the summer...so I stop and pick some up every time I drive through Siren.

I like a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red. I don't sauce very heavy because I like to taste the meat and rub but that little bit of sweet and spice is always welcome.

I normally do my ribs dry, but lately I've been glazing a little just to mix it up some. I've been lucky in that I've been getting Bigmista's spicy sauce that he brings to gatherings here. Great stuff!

Back