Brisket- crutch or no foil?

BigDog43

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm trying my first brisket cook this weekend. I've read varying opinions on using foil half way through or not. Wanted to get some of your opinions on what's worked well for you...

For me it depends on the cooker. On my offset, kettle and vertical I have to wrap because the bark gets too dark/crispy. On my cabinet I have stopped wrapping because the bark gets black but not crunchy. If you want to wrap to speed up the cook then wrap when it gets to the color you like. For most is is around 160-170.

I would try the bludawg brisket on your first one. It is simple and works really well.

Foil makes the brisket cook faster and makes your bark soft.

Butcher paper makes the brisket cook faster and the bark doesn't get quite as soft.

No wrapping makes the brisket cook slower and your bark stays really firm/crunchy.

I'd wrap on the BGE. The plate setter doesn't cover everything so the edges get done quicker. I'd suggest a little foil on both ends of the rack just to keep some of the direct heat off it. I used kraft paper from walmart and worked just fine for wrapping the brisket.

Did a bludawg brisket on the BGE at the camp a few weeks ago. Came out great.

Never thought of butcher paper? I have starded using BP and seems to me something between the aluminium foil and nothing

In Bludawgs method, it says "Remove the Brisket from the UDS and Place it in a Foil Pan fat cap", can i assume I should cover the pan in foil?

ahhh .... the classic wrap or no wrap.... Only you can figure out what works best for you !! But,............ being the first one for you.......

I say wrap it up. Wait till you get a nice color on it and wrap it up and finish it out. It will make things a little eaiser for your first go. As stated above, cook time is shortened, and moisture is retained. :thumb:

I Wrap at around 160. Then when I get to probe tender I unwrap and leave in the cooker until get bark sets up.

I don't prefer my meats to look like a meteor, so I wrap. Used to use foil, but now have BP.

I guess I'm getting old. I like my sleep, so any little tricks that make a brisket cook faster are (now) allowed in my book. I smoke it till I like the color, then wrap in foil till it's probe-tender. I haven't tried unwrapping after that, but I plan to. I also plan to try wrapping in butcher paper (to see if that helps preserve the bark.)

Good luck - just make sure it's probe tender before you pull it.

In Bludawgs method, it says "Remove the Brisket from the UDS and Place it in a Foil Pan fat cap", can i assume I should cover the pan in foil?
Bludawg's method is like mine, for offset cooking you'd wrap after four hours of smoke (in butcher paper) and then continue to cook until it's probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. When it probes like soft buttah, remove the brisket from the cooker but leave it wrapped in it's paper to rest for two hours on your kitchen counter. Finally, slice against the grain and enjoy.
I'm thinking that for the UDS you'd put the brisket in the foil pan fat side up and not cover it, the pan serves as a heat shield.:-D

I guess I'm getting old. I like my sleep, so any little tricks that make a brisket cook faster are (now) allowed in my book. I smoke it till I like the color, then wrap in foil till it's probe-tender. I haven't tried unwrapping after that, but I plan to. I also plan to try wrapping in butcher paper (to see if that helps preserve the bark.)
Good luck - just make sure it's probe tender before you pull it.

Here you go! Terry copied :)biggrin1:) his response right out of my head. Couldn't agree more, especially this: "I guess I'm getting old. I like my sleep, so any little tricks that make a brisket cook faster are (now) allowed in my book."

Blessings,

Omar

Back