Defrosting meat

BillyCal

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a cook I am doing Saturday at my church and I have run into a problem. I have no room in my frig to slowly defrost all the meat. I have 3 racks of spares, 3 racks of short plates beef ribs, and 2 butts maybe some pork sirloin tip roast. (Never did these so any suggestions are great the tip roast).

So what do you guys think about defrosting in a cooler?

I have used a cooler with water. I kept a check and when the water started to warm up I added a little ice until it was thawed out. Then I kept it on ice until I was ready to get it prepped to cook.

Run a hose in the cooler on a trickle, set it & forget it i don't take as long as you think the ribs will take about 1 hr the Butts & the sirloins a little longer prep & cook the Sirloins like a Tri Tip.

I've put items in a cooler with water the night before the cook. Like BigBobBQ said, add a little ice to control the temperature if the wait is longer than anticipated.

Don't forget to include the rest time before serving when you calculate your rstimated cooking times for the meats.

Run a hose in the cooler on a trickle, set it & forget it i don't take as long as you think the ribs will take about 1 hr the Butts & the sirloins a little longer prep & cook the Sirloins like a Tri Tip.

If using a hose isn't practical put the cooler in the bath tub and let the cold water run into it slowly to keep refreshing that water in the cooler.

Back