What Lamb Cuts Do I want?

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Brethren-

My farmer neighbor is processing a couple of lambs. It's very good lamb meat. I have to give him a list of what I want for cuts. I'm not getting the whole lamb. Just a la carte.

I'm not what cuts to ask for that would make for great Q. I've seen some great looking ribs on this forum, but not sure how to ask for them. I'd like to look at some roasts.

Thanks for any anatomical guidance!

I cooked a lamb shoulder roast recently and pulled it just like a pork butt....man it was delicious. Even my kids are asking for me to do it again, and they aren't really meat fanatics

For me, lamb shoulders...one bone-in and one boneless and rolled. I'll take a full saddle roast and loin chops

One of the best meals of my life was lamb loin with a balsamic sauce and jus. It was about the same size as pork tenderloin. Pretty sure it was sous vide cooked then seared, but not positive.

I've also had Asian Style deep fried lamb ribs. It was in New Orleans, and they were incredible.

Thanks for the tips! Looks like:

The Racks (Rib Roasts)
The Loins (Loin Roasts)
Bone-in Leg
Couple shoulder roasts

That oughta get me started

Might I ad--"trimmings" ?

Bits and pieces from everywhere make killer lamb stew!

TIM

You just made a lightbulb go on in my head! That does sound incredible!

Had the traditional super crunchy rice flour batter. Light and crisp. A sweet chili sauce drizzled over them, but not coated. And if memory serves, they had a few thinly sliced Thai Chili Peppers and a few scallions to finish them. It was years ago so it's a bit foggy at this point.

Very rare to have something that is just so far from the norm at a restaurant, and then the bonus is when it lives up to expectations.

Do yourself a favor and grab the backstrap:thumb:

Lamb has so much flavor that you sure don't need to do much to it. Garlic, EVOO and Rosemary are the key flavors that I like with any cut of lamb. OOOOH I want lamb!

Marty! I went to your website! Geez man, you're so skilled! That is some unreal woodworking. What an interesting fellow you are!

I cooked a lamb shoulder roast recently and pulled it just like a pork butt....man it was delicious. Even my kids are asking for me to do it again, and they aren't really meat fanatics

This! All the chops and rack recommends are obvious, but don't overlook shoulder! Brother Fantomlord made this at his house last time I was there making sausage :)shock:), and it was FARKTASTIC!

As Mr AussieTitch advises go the back straps or try the shanks long low and slow - they are sticky and out of this world.

Back