I am getting by butt whooped, but i'm not tucking tail yet

Why not vote for yourself?
There was a discussion about this a little while ago. I can't find it now.
I see no problem with voting for your own entry. I'm sure Trump is going to vote for himself....bad example, he might vote Hilary. but you get my point!

Why not vote for yourself?
There was a discussion about this a little while ago. I can't find it now.
I see no problem with voting for your own entry. I'm sure Trump is going to vote for himself....bad example, he might vote Hilary. but you get my point!

There's no hard and fast rule here that you can't vote for yourself, though many consider it bad form.

Regardless, the real issue John brings up is getting a zero. I recently got a zero in the Ribeye Master TD. While my entry wasn't quite up to par with the top entries, I wasn't expecting to get a zero. The good news is I have one more to add to my list!

John, sorry for the zero's. I like the cooks I've seen of yours.
***at the risk of thread jacking...
For those that think it's 'bad form' to vote for yourself... Does that go for ANY circumstance that you would cast a vote? ie: would you vote for yourself if you were running for an office? or PTA president, or raffling off the trailer of your dreams?

John, sorry for the zero's. I like the cooks I've seen of yours.
***at the risk of thread jacking...
For those that think it's 'bad form' to vote for yourself... Does that go for ANY circumstance that you would cast a vote? ie: would you vote for yourself if you were running for an office? or PTA president, or raffling off the trailer of your dreams?

Eh.. not as big of a deal as I made it. Just trying to work up some sympathy voters for the next time. :mrgreen:

As far as voting for ones own entry.

I look at it this way; if my one vote is what keeps me from getting a zero..I'd rather have the zero.
If my one vote helps me win a tie-breaker..did I really have the best TD entry?

I usually vote for the best entry..in this competitive forum with a bunch of great cooks..it is rarely my entry.

I've been really busy at work and in my personal life so I haven't been entering as much as I used to. When I first started entering the Throwdowns, I didn't win one for approximately a year. It was a little discouraging but then I took a look at my entries and the winning entries. There was a difference in the quality (sometimes a big difference) so I decided I'd need to be better at it if I wanted to win any. The first thing I did was try to improve my cooking. After that I tried to improve my presentation and photography skills. And lastly, I decided I was a winner just for entering, even if my entry didn't win. We got to eat some delicious food and I got to practice my presentation skills and photography hobby all while making friends and having a great time. As I got better I started to win some, all while having fun and eating well. (Maybe to well as I need to lose some weight)

There is usually no telling which entry will win each time although sometimes it's an obvious choice. I'm one of those who never votes for my own entry. It helps with making it fun so I don't take the winning part to seriously.

What I'd suggest to all who entry a throwdown is as follows:

1. Have fun with it. Chances are you won't win as there will be others with equal or better entries. So have fun and eat well by doing so.

2. When deciding what to cook as an entry, imagine the dish you want to enter in your mind and then go about creating that image on your plate and table.

3. Continuing on #2 above, stage your entry before actually plating it. You'll notice that most of my entries are a single serving. That is because I stage my place setting before plating it. I serve up my wife and M.I.L. with their meal and then plate mine up in a different area so I can take some pictures of it without disturbing them. (or them me)

4. Your entry pic is you serving us your entry plate to taste via our eyes. The picture is important for us to imagine what it will taste like. Although sometimes an entry can get pass a mediocre picture, a good picture will never hurt.

5. If you have a tri-pod, use it. It is the single easiest way to improve your entry picture by eliminating camera shake. Also, if you camera has a delayed shutter release, use it as well. Frame and focus your shot and then press the button and let it snap the picture 2 seconds later further eliminating any camera shake.

6. Lighting is the next easiest way to improve your entry pic. Outside on your patio can generally have great lighting. If your inside try to pick a room with lots of windows or lots of lighting fixtures. Generally, the more light the more vivid the colors will be. (Obviously not all the time but generally)

7. And speaking of color, try to include some contrasting colors to set off your entry. That can be on your plate or next to it.

And did I mention to have fun while doing it? The Zero thing is part of the fun. I'd be happy if I could eat nothing but the entries in the Zero thread. There is a lot of great food in there.

^^

Well said! I never vote for myself either - Just a code of personal ethics (It's a TD not a presidential election)

I also preferred the old days when the vote was open to see by all. The bantering was a fun element IMHO. I lost a few by 1 vote and felt good that they won with the vote I cast.

You don't always catch a fish or shoot game but you keep going back - same principal

#1 rule is to have fun - I have learned a lot from it also.

I've been really busy at work and in my personal life so I haven't been entering as much as I used to. When I first started entering the Throwdowns, I didn't win one for approximately a year. It was a little discouraging but then I took a look at my entries and the winning entries. There was a difference in the quality (sometimes a big difference) so I decided I'd need to be better at it if I wanted to win any. The first thing I did was try to improve my cooking. After that I tried to improve my presentation and photography skills. And lastly, I decided I was a winner just for entering, even if my entry didn't win. We got to eat some delicious food and I got to practice my presentation skills and photography hobby all while making friends and having a great time. As I got better I started to win some, all while having fun and eating well. (Maybe to well as I need to lose some weight)

There is usually no telling which entry will win each time although sometimes it's an obvious choice. I'm one of those who never votes for my own entry. It helps with making it fun so I don't take the winning part to seriously.

What I'd suggest to all who entry a throwdown is as follows:

1. Have fun with it. Chances are you won't win as there will be others with equal or better entries. So have fun and eat well by doing so.

2. When deciding what to cook as an entry, imagine the dish you want to enter in your mind and then go about creating that image on your plate and table.

3. Continuing on #2 above, stage your entry before actually plating it. You'll notice that most of my entries are a single serving. That is because I stage my place setting before plating it. I serve up my wife and M.I.L. with their meal and then plate mine up in a different area so I can take some pictures of it without disturbing them. (or them me)

4. Your entry pic is you serving us your entry plate to taste via our eyes. The picture is important for us to imagine what it will taste like. Although sometimes an entry can get pass a mediocre picture, a good picture will never hurt.

5. If you have a tri-pod, use it. It is the single easiest way to improve your entry picture by eliminating camera shake. Also, if you camera has a delayed shutter release, use it as well. Frame and focus your shot and then press the button and let it snap the picture 2 seconds later further eliminating any camera shake.

6. Lighting is the next easiest way to improve your entry pic. Outside on your patio can generally have great lighting. If your inside try to pick a room with lots of windows or lots of lighting fixtures. Generally, the more light the more vivid the colors will be. (Obviously not all the time but generally)

7. And speaking of color, try to include some contrasting colors to set off your entry. That can be on your plate or next to it.

And did I mention to have fun while doing it? The Zero thing is part of the fun. I'd be happy if I could eat nothing but the entries in the Zero thread. There is a lot of great food in there.

What a silly post.

Chock full of common sense, great suggestions, and an uplifting tone. Try not to let it happen again! :wink:

Some good points.
You've changed my mind....I won't vote for myself in the TD's anymore (unless mine is the best looking!)
Let the best dish win!

Back