• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Some Chicken thigh tips

Rockaway BeachBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was doing some chicken butchering the other day and a few ideas came to mind for preparing thighs for competition.

First and foremost buy whole chickens of equal weight. So all thighs will be as similar in size as possible. Then do your own butchering by first removing the leg quarter with as much of the skin off the breast as possible, then cut down the skin on the leg and around the knee and peel the skin back towards the thigh. Then cut the leg away from the thigh. With this much extra skin you can practicaly wrap the whole thigh.

I have not actually tried this yet and I would think it probably will give you too much skin, but it certainly is worth a shot.

I just buy the biggest thighs I can find and trim them all to a uniform size. Trying to buy them all the same size just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And buying whole chickens is out of the question since I cook around 12 to 15 thighs per competition. That would be a hell of alot of chicken parts left over.

YankeeBBQ said:
I just buy the biggest thighs I can find and trim them all to a uniform size. Trying to buy them all the same size just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And buying whole chickens is out of the question since I cook around 12 to 15 thighs per competition. That would be a hell of alot of chicken parts left over.

agreed....

Back