• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

HURRY! ENDS SOON: Discussion Thread -> "Cook it like Cowgirl!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."Cook it like Cowgirl - Part 2!"

67c1408c-d219-4384-a81e-64ff3afe46b7_zpszqqrshnm.jpg

As chosen by Aussie Titch for winning the "Dog Days of Summer!" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Aussie Titch said:
Cook it Like Cowgirl!

Ok, so that doesn't give us much... I went back and got the rules from the first go round..

Cook it like Cowgirl - Part 1 said:
Cowgirl is someone who has some incredible posts yet she doesn't enter Throwdowns so why not cook like we think she would?

Cook something like you think cowgirl would or draw inspiration from one of her cooks (provide a link to her post) and give us your version.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/28 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Tuesday 9/8/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Tuesday 9/8/15

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! There has already been a cook like cowgirl TD. lol
Thanks for the idea though Titch. :-D

Would you Mods like to extend the end day to the 8th because of the Holiday? I believe it's been done like that before.

so the cooking aparatus or the food? like on a tractor rim or ?

Cooking it like Cowgirl - Dutch Oven Bierocks, or Runzas, or whatever you want to call them.

This is my entry into the “Cook it like Cowgirl!” Throwdown.

Bierocks are meat-filled pastries originating in Eastern Europe. German and Russian immigrants ended up bringing them to the Americas and they are enjoyed all over, especially in areas with large Eastern European populations.

Here is Cowgirl's cook -
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170945&highlight=bierocks

Sweat the onions, add the meat and cook until its browned. Now add the cabbage and cook until it wilts.

I now set this aside and prepped my kamado for the cook as the D.O. table.

I cooked these in this Camp Chef Dutch Oven.

Rubbed it down with some butter flavored Crisco. Lite up some briquettes in a chimney on my side burner.
Prepared my work area. Rolled out the dough into a 14” long loaf shape and cut it into 7 roughly equal pieces. I rolled each piece into a ball and then into an approximate 7” to 8” round disk. Add 2 giant spoonful’s of filling, fold over all the sides, pinch closed and place into the D.O.

I place 10 briquettes on the bottom and then the D.O. and 20 briquettes on top.

I closed the lid with the vents wide open.

Here is one straight out of the D.O.

And here is one plated with some potato salad and a Modern Times Hoppy Wheat bear.

And here is the money shot below.

These are delicious. With College Football kicking off this week I froze a couple. These will go great with the game on Saturday.

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216834

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Dont forget to add the piece of fruit Do people get extra credit if there is water in the back ground with a fishing rod
In this picture there is a fountain with water in it in the background. No fishing rod but I could add lots of them if it gets me that extra credit. :laugh:
:becky:

Inspired by this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209297

I was looking over my collection of recipes, looking for something to bring to gtr's bash.

I found a recipe for a Corn and Black Bean Salsa. It looked yummy, but three of the ingredients were frozen corn, canned black beans, and Frank's Red Hot Cayenne sauce.

Yes, I am trying to cut my salt down, so frozen, canned and commercial sauces are no bueno.

So I said, what would cowgirl do?

She'd pull the beans and veggies right out of her garden!

But I'm a city boy, so I went for the next best thing: Dried black beans and fresh corn.

Here are the ingredients. The yellow onions snuck in there somehow; none were injured in the making of the salsa.

cbbs-0.jpg

The beans had soaked overnight:

cbbs-1.jpg

I mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, harissa, garlic, cilantro, salt and chili powder in a bowl:

cbbs-2.jpg

Dice the tomatoes and green onion:

cbbs-3.jpg

You know where the corn is going:

cbbs-4.jpg

Pulled the corn off:

cbbs-5.jpg

Cut the kernel off the cobs (I only used two ears):

cbbs-5a.jpg

Cooked the beans:

cbbs-6.jpg

But, I can't just mix all of this together, can I? Nope.

Guess where the beans are headed?

cbbs-7.jpg

20 Minutes later....

cbbs-8.jpg

Now, we assemble it:

cbbs-9.jpg

Better shot in smaller bowl:

cbbs-10.jpg

You're going to have to wait until tomorrow to see if the rest of the brethren liked it.

Back