Mustard slather on ribs vs no slather

"They" say you can't taste the mustard. I can taste the mustard. I Don't use it.

Last edited:
I've been known to use Zesty Italian Dressing and still do on occasion. Most of the time I don't bother now. One thing that I've tried recently is Mayo on chicken and lean pork like pork loins. Now that is pretty nice, especially on the chicken.

I've done it with and without.

I don't do a slather any more. Haven't for years. Absolutely no point in it, IMHO.

I sometimes use mustard, it helps keep the rub stuck to the meat and does not seem to make any difference to the flavor.

I just sprinkle the rub on it, no need to slather, binder, oil or any of that... I get great bark customers love it and it places at comps so can't be all that bad.

Clint

I don't always slather...but when I do, I use bacon drippin's. On both beef and pork ribs.

I like how you think sister. It goes without saying that I certainly like how you cook as well. I was shocked to hear you say above that you used bacon grease. I thought only us fat boys did that:becky:

I like how you think sister. It goes without saying that I certainly like how you cook as well. I was shocked to hear you say above that you used bacon grease. I thought only us fat boys did that:becky:

lol Thanks SGH, I love the stuff! :-D

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
I don't always slather...but when I do, I use bacon drippin's. On both beef and pork ribs.

I just don't cook enough bacon, and can't afford enough bacon, to allow me to slather ribs with bacon grease.:icon_blush:

I used to use mustard as a binder but gave up on that and now season with rub and allow surface moisture to form and then season again.

I use it, and I don't use it, if it's close I grab it, I go for oil first, but mustard works, I just never taste it anyway

Lantern, the natural oils in the butter do add to the taste and also adherence of your rub. The natural oils keep the meats pours open.

Generally no slather on pork, although I have in the past.

I've done hot sauce (Valentina) on my beef ribs the last couple cooks. Still not sure if it matters all that much?

Back