The Assassin has arrived!

Sweet smoker. Is the guy that makes Assassin the one that use to build them for Stumps?

I think that he was. He also builds the Superior Smokers and the Rebel Smokers. I personally like the features that he has combined from the others and put into the Assassin. For me it was a lot more bang for the buck.

Thanks everyone for the affirmations. Looking forward to putting her through her paces.

Two weeks ago I ordered the Assassin Smoker and it arrived yesterday afternoon. The UPS Freight truck showed up and the driver set it down in the middle of my garage. The crating on this smoker is serious.

Then for the unveiling. It took me almost two hours to unpack and break the crate down. I was stupid in that I did all of it by myself. This thing is very heavy and I could have used some help.

Then I moved it to the patio behind the house. The smoker rolls very easily on concrete but not so easily on going cross country in my yard. But after much pushing and pulling I finally got it to its new home. Then I began the process of getting it ready for its first seasoning. I sprayed the insides with Pam and then loaded it with charcoal and started a fire.

I let it cook for about three hours at 300 degrees. Not to waste the heat, I threw on a naked fatty covered with some Dizzy Pig rub. It came out great.

The reason that I went with the Assassin it because I like the idea of the gravity feed and its size and capacity. It has 4 shelves that are 23.5" square with a minimum of 4" between shelves. The water pan is removable as well as the grease catcher to make for easier cleaning. It comes with a BBQ Guru DX2. Jeff and Robin Connelly were great to work with and answered all my questions.

I am looking forward to a much larger cook on the Assassin this weekend.

Congratulations Mep. My experience with Jeff and Robin was the same, and I LOVE the Assassin. Never had anything hold temps like this thing, and I've been through a bunch of smokers over the past twenty years . . . . What did you think of the build quality? I was very impressed, and with two engineering degrees, I tend to be kinda' critical . . . .

I cook on a Stump's Prince and you are going to dig this gravity fed cooker, after 4 years it continues to amaze me with the food that is produced from this thing.

Is that the Assassin28? How much does it weigh? I've never seen a cooker crated up before - it looks like they did a phenomenal job.

I'm getting a little frustrated waiting for the guys at Pitmaker to get back to me. I might just look at one of these instead...

Is that the Assassin28? How much does it weigh? I've never seen a cooker crated up before - it looks like they did a phenomenal job.

I'm getting a little frustrated waiting for the guys at Pitmaker to get back to me. I might just look at one of these instead...

It is the regular Assassin, not the larger 28. Yes, they did crate it very well. It weighs about 475 lbs. I should have called a friend to help uncrate it and move it. I looked at the Pitmaker Safe but chose the Assassin mainly for the much larger cooking capacity as well as other features.

Last edited:
That's some serious metal right there! Time to get some groceries on that baby! Nice pit!

Congrats brother! Nothing like cooking on a quality smoker! Insulated verticals are awesome indeed!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 208

I know exactly what you mean. George seems like a great guy but its taken forever and I pulled the trigger on a more customed Assassin 28. Just had to do it. I asked for a quote from pitmaker on a vault, a REAL quote over a week ago after talking for a month and cooking on one of their top rigs they have built. I figured I would have been seen in a more serious position but I guess it's only a vault and not a massive trailer. Jeff and Robin were just amazing and we are going down to pick up my monster in early August. I fully plan to market the hell out of it for them here in Alabama. I bounced some good ideas on my more customed version which he loved so would be cool if he took some ideas we talked about into his line. 3 week lead time for my 28.

It is the regular Assassin, not the larger 28. Yes, they did crate it very well. It weighs about 475 lbs. I should have called a friend to help uncrate it and move it. I looked at the Pitmaker Safe but chose the Assassin mainly for the much larger cooking capacity as well as other features.

Mines coming shortly after yours. I did the 28, configured a 6 rack. 2 racks at 5" and 4 at 3.5" like the rebel 28 and the stump stretch separation. I will have over 3700 sq inches which is larger than a maxed out stretch with their 5. That surprised me when we sorted out configurations. All will fit the large pans if needed without taking any out.

That's a regular Assassin? Wow, thats a whole lot of cooker right there at a very good price. You might have sold me on one.

I know exactly what you mean. George seems like a great guy but its taken forever and I pulled the trigger on a more customed Assassin 28. Just had to do it. I asked for a quote from pitmaker on a vault, a REAL quote over a week ago after talking for a month and cooking on one of their top rigs they have built. I figured I would have been seen in a more serious position but I guess it's only a vault and not a massive trailer. Jeff and Robin were just amazing and we are going down to pick up my monster in early August. I fully plan to market the hell out of it for them here in Alabama. I bounced some good ideas on my more customed version which he loved so would be cool if he took some ideas we talked about into his line. 3 week lead time for my 28.

Funny, I've never experienced a company not wanting to take my money. The economy must be pretty good in Houston these days. Too bad too because I really like those Pitmaker pits but it's pretty hard to buy one if they don't want to sell me one. :frusty:

I don't quite understand why the Assassins come with a water pan. I thought they weren't needed for a gravity feed smoker. Is there a drain for it?

Funny, I've never experienced a company not wanting to take my money. The economy must be pretty good in Houston these days. Too bad too because I really like those Pitmaker pits but it's pretty hard to buy one if they don't want to sell me one. :frusty:

I don't quite understand why the Assassins come with a water pan. I thought they weren't needed for a gravity feed smoker. Is there a drain for it?

Well I know George and Pitmaker are extremely busy after all their tv appearances but still. I made it clear I was making my decision at the end of last week, the sell was there if he wanted it. Jeff and Robin did an outstanding job selling me and the back and forth with doing a little more customization on mine was just great. I havent even met them yet and its like ive known them my entire life, seriously good people that really wanted my business.

As for the water pan, you don't need it. It will create enough moisture, some just like to use water pans and that gives them the option.

That is an awesome looking smoker. Sure puts my little 30" electric job to shame.

Back