Kosmo's Question

Sonchaser

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Last weekend I tried using Kosmo's Q Reserve Blend Brisket Injection for the first time. I ended up with some dark blotches in the meat. Is there something that I can do to help prevent that? I mixed the Kosmo's with beef stock and better than bouillon and inject with a single opening needle.

When you inject are you moving the needle at while you inject? Maybe you injected too much in one spot? I typically inject while pulling the needle out of the meat to make sure too much injection doesn't go into one spot. I also constantly stir my injection while using it.

I ran into this in the past and asked around too. Some of the answers I got were clean,sharp needle will prevent this, use a liquid that is not dark like water or juice to mix your injection with. A few other things i was told but those were the big two i changed and I havent had an issue since.

I still don't get injecting briskets. I cook 150lbs of brisket a weekend, never inject and get a consistent moist product.

When you spend hundreds of dollars to do a comp and travel many of miles, you will do funny things to chase .001 of a point....trust me!:shocked:

I subscribe to the dirty needle theory. Sounds outrageous, but but more times than not, I find it valid.

High level shigging alert

If your reusing needles, pour some whiskey or vodka in a glass. set your needle in it for a bit (30 min seems to be enough). remove from alcohol and proceed to make a coctail from the "sanatizing agent" and inject your meat.

not sure on kosmos but butcher bbq recommends only using water with theirs

I had that happen on one brisket and I think part of the problem was that the brisket was still a little frozen in spots. Didn't allow the injection to spread out as well.

When you inject are you moving the needle at while you inject? Maybe you injected too much in one spot? I typically inject while pulling the needle out of the meat to make sure too much injection doesn't go into one spot. I also constantly stir my injection while using it.

+1^ this! Also, if your needle is dirty then it could complicate the issue. Use very hot very soapy water to clean it, then very hot clean water to rinse after each use.

I had the same issue. I followed the directions, and used beef broth. Although the smell was HORRIBLE!, it had a fantastic flavor! Almost didn't use it. Anyway, not only did I notice the injection rings, I noticed that after several minutes the meat had an unusual gray color to it. Luckily it was only a practice cook. I wouldn't have turned it in at a comp...

When I used to make my own injection recipe I used white food coloring to lighten the solution and it worked well. Now I use a commercial injection and don't have streak issues.

I've never had the problem with Kosmos and I use low sodium beef broth. I'll go with the dirty needle theory. We've started buying high quality single use hypodermic needles in bulk. Whenever we switch meats, we switch needles and throw the used one away. At only about 50 cents a piece it's not a bad deal.

I mix half broth with half distilled water to get my 2 1/2 cups of fluid, I found that using bottled water is what led to my streaking using Kosmos.

I still think you guys should be mixing a coctail while doing this. :-D

I've never had the problem with Kosmos and I use low sodium beef broth. I'll go with the dirty needle theory. We've started buying high quality single use hypodermic needles in bulk. Whenever we switch meats, we switch needles and throw the used one away. At only about 50 cents a piece it's not a bad deal.

This is what I do too. I buy them from Tractor Supply and makes for easy clean up.

Back