• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Tip..tips

Cap'nPat

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm making Spare ribs this weekend and I'll be trimming them down to St Louis Style and I'll be making the rib tips as a side/ appetizer. I've never made rib tips before so any tips from people who have made them before would be greatly appreciated.

I treat them just like I treat the ribs. Cook the whole strap, and then when they come off the pit, I cut them into chunks using the cartlidge as guides to slice.

I tend to cut down to SLC before cooking but throw everything in the smoker together. When the ribs are just about done, I'll pull the rib tips, cut them into chunks and throw them into a pot with some BBQ sauce thinned with apple cider vinegar and butter...not drowning in sauce, but just enough to coat thinly. People who normally wouldn't pick on the cartilage off the bone can't seem to resist the bite sized chunks. Come to think of it, it's kinda like brisket burnt ends.

I cook my Spares whole & trim to St Louie after. If you cut from the back it's easy to see the joint.

I like to trim down to St Louis cut and the just toss the scraps in the same as the ribs, they just finish sooner and it's good snack while you're waiting for the ribs to finish.

I cook my Spares whole & trim to St Louie after. If you cut from the back it's easy to see the joint.
I also trim after the cook, if I trim at all. The tips are like any ribs, when a toothpick goes in easily, they are done.

Back