Tons of New BBQ Books Coming...Which Are YOU Most Excited About?

jfletcherMD

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, 2016 looks to be a great year for those (like me) who consider themselves both "Barbeque-philes" and bibliophiles. Some new cookbooks, a couple of books on history/culture...sure, some people might see it as nothing more than a reflection of the "barbecue going mainstream" trend that's been coming to a crescendo over the past couple of years, but for those of us who love books almost as much as we love barbecue, we have lots to look at and consider adding to the collection! :nerd: :madgrin:

Here are just a few of the new titles coming this year...

BBQ Rules by Myron Mixon **
Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling by Meathead Goldwyn **
Weber's New American Barbecue by Jamie Purviance **
Project Smoke by Steven Raichlen
Smokin' Hot in the South by Melissa Cookston
More BBQ and Grilling on the Big Green Egg (and other kamado-style cookers) by Eric Mitchell
The Smoking Bacon and Hog Cookbook by Bill Gillespie
The One True Barbecue: Fire, Smoke, and the Pitmasters Who Cook the Whole Hog by Rien Fertel **
Churrasco: Grilling the Brazilian Way by Evandro Caregnato
Around the Fire by Greg Denton
Virginia Barbecue: A History by Joseph R. Haynes
(**I've added these to my personal collection already**)

Which of these have any of you all bought or read? Which are you the most excited about and/or intrigued by? :idea: :biggrin1:

I think I'm the oddball. I don't read bbq books. If I can't find it here then trial and error it is.

Have been considering picking up Meathead, but suspect it's all on his website anyway, and much of it is common knowledge. Don't know if that's true, hence *considering*.

I have

BBQ Rules by Myron Mixon **
Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling by Meathead Goldwyn **
Project Smoke by Steven Raichlen
Smokin' Hot in the South by Melissa Cookston

Plus I also bought the Texas BBQ Cookbook, which I believe was just updated.

I've tried the Weber one a few times but the Kindle version was first supposed to come out a week later, and then it seems to have been delayed a week another week. I think it's available now....may go buy it now. Like you, I am addicted to books and BBQ....

So since you've added some of these any thoughts on them? I generally prefer my BBQ books to be more about stories and lore than recipe dumps. Peace, love, and BBQ is probably my favorite. Love Franklin's book as well.

So since you've added some of these any thoughts on them? I generally prefer my BBQ books to be more about stories and lore than recipe dumps. Peace, love, and BBQ is probably my favorite. Love Franklin's book as well.

I must admit, Meathead's book is the only one so far that I've really "dived into head-first." It's a really nice compendium, in my opinion. Lots of information on the science of cooking, some cool stories, pretty good recipes, and it comes with a free six-month premium sub to his site. As was mentioned before, there's not a lot in it that can't be found on his website already, although the book does contain some diagrams and lots of photos that aren't on the site, and which illustrate his points very well. I'd recommend it, particularly if you're a traditionalist like me, who prefers reading (and cooking out of) a book as opposed to hyperlinking to articles on a website. :crazy:

In "thumbing through" Weber's New American Barbecue, I see that it has lots of "new takes" on some of the classics, as well as a few new ideals/recipes that I haven't seen before, particularly some of the "fusion" ideas/takes on new recipes. :thumb:

I'm hoping to start reading The One True Barbecue this weekend...I can't think of a better book to accompany the biggest grilling/barbecue weekend of the year than with a narrative about the guys who cook the most traditional form of our favorite food? :clap2: :biggrin1:

I got Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling by Meathead Goldwyn as soon as it came out because I love the website but I have no internet access up at my cabin. This is like having the whole website in the palm of my hands - no internet required.

I must admit, Meathead's book is the only one so far that I've really "dived into head-first." It's a really nice compendium, in my opinion. Lots of information on the science of cooking, some cool stories, pretty good recipes, and it comes with a free six-month premium sub to his site. As was mentioned before, there's not a lot in it that can't be found on his website already, although the book does contain some diagrams and lots of photos that aren't on the site, and which illustrate his points very well. I'd recommend it, particularly if you're a traditionalist like me, who prefers reading (and cooking out of) a book as opposed to hyperlinking to articles on a website. :crazy:

In "thumbing through" Weber's New American Barbecue, I see that it has lots of "new takes" on some of the classics, as well as a few new ideals/recipes that I haven't seen before, particularly some of the "fusion" ideas/takes on new recipes. :thumb:

I'm hoping to start reading The One True Barbecue this weekend...I can't think of a better book to accompany the biggest grilling/barbecue weekend of the year than with a narrative about the guys who cook the most traditional form of our favorite food? :clap2: :biggrin1:

I understand what your saying.You can sample it first hand any time you want at several locations.Which is your favorite?

Last edited:
Back