Hazelnut wood for smoking?

mikecz

Reaction score
So, we're gonna have a "contorted filbert" tree/bush removed from the front yard so there is more light for tomatoes! This thing actually produces filbert or hazel nuts, but the squirrels always get all of them. The thing is, we're gonna pay the guy to cut it down, rip up the roots, & haul everything away.

So I have to decide real fast if I want to save any of the bigger pieces (about as thick as my thigh), before it's all gone.

Would you save it? Have you cooked with hazel/filbert as your smoke wood?

I never have but I would bet that it would be a fine smoking wood. Any nut or fruit producing tree is good for smoking wood. I would definitely try it.

Jack

I never have either, but I did some digging online and it looks like you can definitely use hazlenut wood for smoking. Apparently in the northwest around your parts it's a common, native wood that has a mild and fragrant smoke. From what I was reading it's mild like alder, so would probably be good for poultry / fish and possibly pork.

In any event it should be safe to smoke with - give it a shot and let us know how it turns out :grin:

Back