Got me some Pee-Can

I love using pecan. It's like a lighter, mellower hickory. I live in Albuquerque, NM and pecan is $325 a cord - and is hauled in from Texas.

This is the part I can't figure out, and neither can the wood supplier. If I drive about 140 miles south, there are thousands of acres of pecan groves.

I can drive by the pecan trees and see piles of limbs on the ground in mid-winter when they're trimming the trees, and they refuse to sell it for less than $350 a cord, and you have to come and cut it up.

Yeah, it's more expensive and more work to buy it locally than have cut splits trucked in from Texas...

I don't get it...

Anyway - lucky you and your pickup truck load!

Being a Texas native, and knowing well the excellent benefits of cooking with good ole Texas pecan wood, I was disappointed when I had some Georgia pecan wood I used on a smoke a year or two ago. I was given some split and dried "native" pecan wood from south of the Atlanta area. It was good, but it could not hold a candle to what I was used to cooking with when I lived in Texas. There was no comparison. The Georgia wood did not have that specific flavor or smell that the Texas wood has. I used to get my pecan wood from a supplier in the Wharton area that had several pecan orchards. At the time I was paying $100 a cord on site. I had to load and haul it myself to Victoria where I was living at the time. Good stuff!!

Omar

Here in southern Az 1/2 cord goes for around $225 to $250.

Back