Help with smoked chicken wings

Gunman9

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Need a little help with smoked chicken wings. Smoking for my brothers college graduation party this weekend and am smoking ribs and chicken wings. Iv had ribs down pat for years. Chicken wings Iv done like twice. Does anyone have a temp and time and how to get crispy skin. Also a good run recommendation and sauce? Thanks for the help.

350-375 for about 45-60 min, should also give you crispy skin. I don't sauce my wings that much, just a buffalo wing sauce.

Forgot to say I'll be cooking at 275. Unfortunately I don't have a deep fryer that handle that man wings :sad:

Good excuse to buy a turkey fryer!

Hard to get crispy wings in a smoker. If you can't fry to finish, how about bake or broiling them at a high temp to reheat and crisp?

The day before the cook I put my wings in 1 gallon zip lock bags with Franks's Red Hot. Then right before I put them on the smoker dust them real good with your favorite rub. Once they are done you do not have to sauce them. They will be great after soaking in the bags all night. At 275 they should be done within 2 hours. These wings will be great.

Find or borrow equipment that you can indirect smoke the wings at around 375. Sauce with 1/3 melted butter, 1/3 honey, 1/3 Sriracha. Put sauced wings back on the grill for 15 minutes.

I smoke my wings for 1-1/2 hours at 275. Then I fire up my gasser and crisp up the skin for a few minutes per side. I also fry the wings after smoking if I'm doing more than 50.

My Buffalo sauce is simply 1 stick of butter and 2 cups of either Texas Pete or Frank's Red Hot. I put the butter and hot sauce in a pan on low and keep it stirred for 15-30 minutes while the wings are cooking.

I pull the skin off and wrap with bacon. It's very good and don't have to worry about crummy skins.

I also smoke until about half done, then move to the gasser at 375 to crisp up the skin.

Rub wise, I'm a huge fan of: Salt, Coarse Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, and Cayenne. I apply a dose of that to the bird somewhere in the 1-6 hours prior in a big zip-top bag.

I smoke my wings over hickory at 300+ (on my crappy LP gas smoker.. )... as hot as I can get it. If I can't get it hot enough, after about 60-90 minutes (when they've firmed up and I'm sure they've cooked) I hit the gas grill for a few minutes just to get a bit of char on the outside and crisp up the skin. Momma loves the crispy bits!

My buffalo sauce is a combo of Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce, garlic power, and some worcestershireshire sauce. I like to toss the cooked wings in the sauce just before serving. The smoke and the cooked/smoke/grilled dry rub bits get into the sauce and thicken it a little... and give it some lovely flavor that I just don't get otherwise.

You've got some great suggestions and responses above. Hope this'll give you another thought/idea/tweak on something above for another time. I'm sure you'll kill it.

Last edited:
Another vote for smoke for 1-2 hours, followed by broil or grill at higher temp to crisp the skin. Works great.

I've also cooked them at 275-300 until a little under and put them on a hot grill to crisp up at the end. Works great.

Tip I learned here was to make a slather of mayo and hot sauce. Toss the wings in that then apply whatever rub you want. Cook at 300 if you can. Sounded strange but great results.

Tip I learned here was to make a slather of mayo and hot sauce. Toss the wings in that then apply whatever rub you want. Cook at 300 if you can. Sounded strange but great results.

Most of the good marinades/sauces for grilled chicken (IMHO) are based on an acid oil mix. Mayo is my favorite source of the oil piece, and Franks Red Hot is of course vinegar based, plus it adds spice and color so all your bases are covered with two ingredients. Nothing strange about it.

If you want really crispy skin, especially without over cooked or under cooked meat, I have found double cooking is a huge help. To make real crispy wings, I fry first at a lower temp and then chill or freeze for later. When ready to eat, a short hot fry finishes them perfectly. The pre-cook and chill is the key, so instead of the initial fry, you can also bake smoke or grill for a different flavor profile.

I smoke roast chicken wings at least once a week. On my Kamado I always aim to get the temp around 325ish and let the dripping hit the deflector plate for amazing flavor. On my Weber I aim for about 350 and cook indirectly.

I cook them for 40 minutes, turning once after 20 minutes. If the skin isn't as crispy as I want it then I'll quickly grill over direct heat flipping every 30 secs so as to not burn the skin. They're always spot on.

Back