Friend Contacted Me Today

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Same conversation most of us have had, many times. “What type Cooker should I buy”? It’s been a month or two but it was the same advice Ive always given, a drum. I mentioned the PBC I had and sold and more recently an Oklahoma Joe Bronco. I reckon this conversation has been ongoing 2 months. Tonight he sent me a photo of two inaugural Fattys. He went with Oklahoma Joe Bronco.

Was a good way to end the day

..so you're saying i should consider a Bronco instead of another cheap stick-burner (wood is so cheap!) or sideways drum (what I was actually considering), huh?? Besides the convection and delicious burnt drippings (I usually reserve for sides/stocks), please do go on...

00f0f_fT5GQi0J5TAz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
So, why do you suggest a drum over a Weber kettle?
Just curious, imo a Weber Kettle is the most versatile cooker you can get.

No doubt from posts here that the Webber Kettle produce outstanding food. He lives at 9000 feet in Northern New Mexico and like me at 3500 feet winds can be brutal. Often times 40-60 on a breezy day. He has a propane and pellet and was looking for a sturdy charcoal cooker that will hold steady in brutal conditions. While it was really nice yesterday where he lives he said his bronco held 250 for 10 hours on one basket of coals.

Although I’ve owned them I don’t have enough experience with Kettle Cookers

Last edited:
..so you're saying i should consider a Bronco instead of another cheap stick-burner (wood is so cheap!) or sideways drum (what I was actually considering), huh?? Besides the convection and delicious burnt drippings (I usually reserve for sides/stocks), please do go on...

00f0f_fT5GQi0J5TAz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

If you’re asking my recommendation, get both

Can i borrow money for a bronco?? lol.

I can easily get 6+hrs of 250* out of one basket on a kettle; I do my best work on them as that is what I grew up around (the most). Down to crimping foil to "customize" vents, as I always have the bottom wide open. That is what the sideways drum would be replacing, my oldest finally met its end after it got tornado'd a couple weekends ago.

Can i borrow money for a bronco?? lol.

I can easily get 6+hrs of 250* out of one basket on a kettle; I do my best work on them as that is what I grew up around (the most). Down to crimping foil to "customize" vents, as I always have the bottom wide open. That is what the sideways drum would be replacing, my oldest finally met its end after it got tornado'd a couple weekends ago.

You can never replace a kettle. I suggest grabbing a used on as they are everywhere, then add to your arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't get the love for drum cookers. If you want real BBQ, you go with a stick burner and burn wood. If you want somewhat easier BBQ with still good smoke flavor, you go with a gravity feed or similar. If you want basically an oven with a little wood flavor, you go with a pellet. I just don't get the drum thing. Of course, I've never cooked on one, so there's that and I am talking out of ignorance. :heh::heh::heh:

Heck yeah brother. I gifted my old Bronco to a grilless buddy of mine when I got my Humphrey's BB. I still miss it too lol. It was a solid smoker. He's still banging out stuff on it as well so it worked out for everybody. I'm just happy to have another person to chat with about grilling/smoking, ya know?

You can never replace a kettle. I suggest grabbing a used on as they are everywhere, then add to your arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still got one; the one that croaked I found left out with a "free" sign. I do not however have a plain barrel, but I've never had an ugly drum like the Bronco.. :decision:

I just don't get the love for drum cookers. If you want real BBQ, you go with a stick burner and burn wood. If you want somewhat easier BBQ with still good smoke flavor, you go with a gravity feed or similar. If you want basically an oven with a little wood flavor, you go with a pellet. I just don't get the drum thing. Of course, I've never cooked on one, so there's that and I am talking out of ignorance. :heh::heh::heh:

I didn't either until I figured out a lot of comp guys were kickin' butt with them. I bought one to learn on, and quickly I was sold. They are wicked, and a totally different profile. You're basically smoking your meat with fat drippings (instead of wood as the primary). So, the trick/craft, is knowing when to wrap and when to have a pan underneath. You can easily over-smoke your meat, or under-smoke it.

Also, you can run very hot and turn out perfectly good food. I smoke everything at 300, and it's as tender as a low and slow cook.

It's an awesome cooker and the ONLY one I pull out when all my pellet/kamado buddies come by to eat. It's a totally different smoke profile.

If you have a couple hundred dollars burning a hole, then look at a Pit Barrel. It's a great intro into this style of cooker.

I didn't either until I figured out a lot of comp guys were kickin' butt with them. I bought one to learn on, and quickly I was sold. They are wicked, and a totally different profile. You're basically smoking your meat with fat drippings (instead of wood as the primary). So, the trick/craft, is knowing when to wrap and when to have a pan underneath. You can easily over-smoke your meat, or under-smoke it.

Also, you can run very hot and turn out perfectly good food. I smoke everything at 300, and it's as tender as a low and slow cook.

It's an awesome cooker and the ONLY one I pull out when all my pellet/kamado buddies come by to eat. It's a totally different smoke profile.

If you have a couple hundred dollars burning a hole, then look at a Pit Barrel. It's a great intro into this style of cooker.

i could maybe fashion a sloped trough to drain the fat from a sideways barrel, that i could fold in/out as needed..

Why a drum over a WSM? It seems that the WSM has fallen out of favor as a result of the drum. Why is that? I can't imagine anything being much more stable and steady. Serious question, I would like to know if a drum smoker is really that much better because the drum smoker manufacturers seem to be a few hundred more than the WSM right now.

Disclosure: I have owned a WSM for 15 years, and even though I have tried others, nothing has been able to kick it off the top of the podium for me.

Why a drum over a WSM? It seems that the WSM has fallen out of favor as a result of the drum. Why is that? I can't imagine anything being much more stable and steady. Serious question, I would like to know if a drum smoker is really that much better because the drum smoker manufacturers seem to be a few hundred more than the WSM right now.

Disclosure: I have owned a WSM for 15 years, and even though I have tried others, nothing has been able to kick it off the top of the podium for me.

Both are great Cookers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUcN-UljCI&feature=youtu.be

So, why do you suggest a drum over a Weber kettle?
Just curious, imo a Weber Kettle is the most versatile cooker you can get.

I have both. The drum is good for grilling and smoking nightly/weekly meals on, but I use my drum for large cooks. I can cook 4 butts and 8 fatties at the same time on the drum or 2 full packer briskets. I have also cooked 8 chickens in the drum before.

If you don't entertain much or don't want leftovers, there's nothing wrong with smoking on the kettle. I actually prefer it for small cooks, but the drum is so easy to use, I find it my go to for most long smokes.

i think my next will be an ugly drum. i have a hard time trusting okie joe but if his bronco really is a good gateway i may have to give him another chance.. PBC or Bronco?

also, i can get food grade barrels all day, and have a couple metalworking friends, so.. should i just spend a couple hundred for a kit? any/all feedback is (very much!) welcomed

i think my next will be an ugly drum. i have a hard time trusting okie joe but if his bronco really is a good gateway i may have to give him another chance.. PBC or Bronco?

also, i can get food grade barrels all day, and have a couple metalworking friends, so.. should i just spend a couple hundred for a kit? any/all feedback is (very much!) welcomed

Just buy a WSM and remove the water pan.Same thing.Less trouble.

Just buy a WSM and remove the water pan.Same thing.Less trouble.

i already got one of those tho. think i still have the water pan around here.. somewhere.. lol

im curious as to whether drum vs bullet shape makes any real difference. i know some do feel very adament about their drum over WSM..

u can do the same thing with a kettle. just make a slanted drip tray to run the juices down onto the coals

Back