Anyone have grand champ xd smoker from homedepot?

I saw that recently and was impressed with it. It seems like a nice capacity and the metal decent. It was priced at $499, but I'm not real sure that is a great price point. If it goes on clearance, it will be more attractive to me.

I haven't used or seen one but I think either cooking with CJ or CJs que on YouTube has been putting out some videos with one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I saw them online and they seem to be decent. Not 100% sure though in real life. I have been waiting to see someone post about them on here too

A Friend of mine has one at his lake camp house. That rig puts out some great BBQ. He does not use it very often though so I cannot speak as to how long it will last. It is very well built. He added gaskets to his and installed the extra 2 thermometers. His is a slightly older model but works like a champ.

I kind of look at my Cookers “fun factor”. I wanted to try my advanced beginner skill level one more time with an offset. Nothing fancy but not a chore to work either. Some simple mods if desired but not required. The kind you see When you drive through the Texas Hill Country. The kind you see in every yard beside every house in the back of pickups heading to deer leases. It’s a beautiful sight. To me Offset smokers scream Texas BBQ-even when idle. I went with the Oklahoma Joe Highland. 299$ at Lowe’s. I bought the OKJ Firebox and OKJ gasket tape. I made a deflector/baffle from the firebox grill grates. Bought the OKJ Cover. In all I’ve added 125$ just guessing.

Looks as if things I added come standard plus a few extras on yours. If taken care of mine should last quite a while. If neglected guessing 5-7 years from what I’ve read. There are a lot of similarities in your target cooker and mine. The extra 200$ on yours gets quite a few extras. I’ve cooked 5-7 cooks on mine including inaugural Fattys.

If you have the time to keep an eye on your cooker Offsets produce great food.
Hope you get it.

Mill Scale offset will run you about 10X more $$$
They are beautiful. An Heirloom Lifetime cooker. While I’m at a point in my life I could easily afford it, I’m also at the point in my life I don’t need it.

Time marches on

Last edited:
Seems great, then someone asks if they can use wood instead of charcoal, and a company rep said they suggest only charcoal, as wood burns hotter and may damage the finish and warp it. WTF?!:heh:

wood burns hotter than charcoal? since when? I could see burning charcoal over wood if the firebox were tiny - or if wood were not an available option.

Seems great, then someone asks if they can use wood instead of charcoal, and a company rep said they suggest only charcoal, as wood burns hotter and may damage the finish and warp it. WTF?!:heh:

Soooo, Weber states the same thing about the WSM. I always found that odd and apparently I am not the only one. In general wood burns at 1100* and charcoal at 2100*. I just wrote Kingsford and flat out asked at what temp does KKB burn and what temp does Competition burn at. We shall see. In regards to the Champ I just assumed offset = wood and charcoal being the variable :noidea:

It looks like an interesting unit and has rave reviews.

I recently purchase the Char-Griller Grand Champ XD. This is an amazing smoker. The build quality is solid. It holds temp very well. Everything that I have cooked on this smoker has been delicious. If you are interested in an offset smoker, good build quality and at a great price point, then I highly recommend grabbing one of these.

I recently purchase the Char-Griller Grand Champ XD. This is an amazing smoker. The build quality is solid. It holds temp very well. Everything that I have cooked on this smoker has been delicious. If you are interested in an offset smoker, good build quality and at a great price point, then I highly recommend grabbing one of these.

How are you running the smoker from a charcoal/wood stand point?

I like the features it comes with, especially the pull-out expanded metal cooking racks and the firebox charcoal box and grate/ash catcher.

Gotta wonder about the metal thickness though- what is "extra duty metal"? and I assume the firebox is bolted on? Those would be my concerns from afar.

Firebox does look to be bolt on.

I've no idea what extra duty metal is.

I've read it's 12 gauge carbon steel OR 2.5mm.??

The 12 gauge came from Char-Griller Support. 12 gauge = 7/64"

Last edited:
They are 2.5mm, or just under 1/8", from what I understand.

Thought about grabbing one of these and get a feel on using an offset cooker before purchasing a custom one.

Back