Hot water thawing

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was curious what other folks' experiences have been. I've been hot water thawing meats - up to say a pork tenderloin package, 2 lbs, for decades and have never gotten sick, nor have any of my diners. Anything bigger goes in the fridge for a couple or three days. I've done bone in chicken breasts or other cuts but never a whole chicken or chick roast or anything like that. They have taken up to an hour to thaw.

I know they say to only do that with small cuts, but what is your experience?

Small stuff that gets cooked right away I don't have a problem with. It's almost like sous vide with a super hot finish.

I do it with smaller cuts of meat, but I use warm water, water that I can hold my hand in comfortably.

I either use the sous vide or a cold water bath in the sink.

In Louisiana restaurants. To thaw something out it can be submerged under cold water with cold water running in it. Can not use hot water being a chef this is the only way I’ll thaw anything out in water. Plus my wife is the regional director for the board of health she won’t let me bend the rules.

I have a story of thawing food out. I was working night off shore on a platform. The cook was thawing ribs out for the next day. We went eat midnight meal an saw the ribs on the counter. The plastic they come in was swollen like a ball. I told my co worker I would not eat that. It’s swollen because the bacteria is growing in there. One guys say 12 years I’ve worked out here an never gotten sick. Well guess what ? His butt got sick as a dog coming out everywhere. He was the only co worker to eat them. I’m pretty sure he learned his lesson.

Ps food will hurt you if not taken care of properly. Only takes one time

Back