Pulled Pork Sauce

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have good ideas/receipes for a sauce to add to pulled pork that isn't overwhelming? Looking for something spicy, maybe with a bit of sweetness - not a vinegar based sauce.

I tried a receipe given to me made from from Cattleman's with worcestershire and apple vinegar mixed in. It was OK, but it had the vinegar taste and I'd like to try another sauce to mix into the pulled pork that doesn't have that taste.

I still want the pork to be the main taste, with the sauce being an additional taste. Possibly something that I could use in comps ... trial, error and a possible adjustment or two could decide.

Thanks

I add Blues Hog sparingly, I mean by the tablespoon, so as not to overpower the taste of porky goodness.

Sorry, don't really have time/patience for recipe thing when it comes to sauces.

Also, last night I added just a squirt or two of Sweet Baby Rays to pork. Pretty good stuff

Sorry but I only use vinegar based stuff on my sammiches. I will 2nd wilkat's notion of using it sparingly, though.

I sometimes like the vinegar based ... but I'm looking for something to change it up. I like choices and changes...

Hey Bobby...You won't get much of a "pork" taste out of anything Q'd since it's fairly bland by itself. Kinda like frog legs.....and chicken.

You might try just mixing in some apple juice and a bit more of your rub (or just some salt) to the pulled meat, maybe the drippings if you foil or us a drip pan...that's about all I do. Injecting might do the trick too...

The Slabs - Kyle Style. Sweet, spicy, very little vinnegar. Tastes very similar to Blue's Hog but spicier.

Whatabout a mustard sauce? Willkat is a big fan....

Golden Mustard Barbecue Sauce(Smoke&Spice)
1 c. white vinegar
3/4c.yellow mustard
1/2 medium onion,minced
1/3c.h20
1/4c. tomato pure'e
1tlbs.paprika
6 cloves of garlic minced
1 1/2 t.salt
1/2 t. cayenne
1/2 t. fresh ground black pepper
Mix the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.Reduce heat and until onions are tender & the sauce is thickend.(20-25 minutes).
PS. add 2 tlbs.mayo or brown sugar for a different tang

Heard a rumor that Johnny Trigg got a comment on his GAB Invitational judges card that said his ribs were "too porky".

Don't know if its true, but that sho is funny.

Heard a rumor that Johnny Trigg got a comment on his GAB Invitational judges card that said his ribs were "too porky".

Don't know if its true, but that sho is funny.

Are they suppose to taste like chicken? Wow

What he said.:confused:

LoL...Is my wife shoppin' at the wrong place???

The markets around here don't have a lick of pork with any sort of natural taste or flavor...pumped or otherwise. Gotto go to a family farm to get that these days (chix and frogs included :wink: )...IMO anyway.

I like Blues Hog Tennessee Red,like Bill said mix in a little at a time until you get the taste your looking for.

Try Spicewine's Sweet Heat. It has a nice kick at the end, but not too hot!

My other half made a Blue Cheese BBQ sauce last week for pulled pork.

.....it was different!!!

CT, did she use Stilton or some "lesser" blue cheese?:-D

I use blue cheese [mostly Gorgonzola] in meat sauces a lot around here, but not in anything I would call BBQ sauce. I think that just strays to far from the reservation.

Back