Can you pull a smoker while its running

V

ValeroStudio

Dumb question I bet, but I am just curious if you can pull a trailer pit while the fire is going. Sounds pretty darn illegal. I guess what I am wondering is, if you are catering and serving something like brisket that's a long smoke, I assume you start it at your home/biz and then tow the smoker to the site you are serving. So, how do you coordinate and accomplish this?

You usually can (not worrying about the legality question) but you'll wind up with crap all over your food. Most cooker chimneys are not built for this and the chance of reverse air flow is pretty good - the result is ash on the food. Not to mention scrambled pork butts if you hit that train crossing too fast.

Of course, a lot depends on your trailer, cooker, etc. Some with enclosed trailers and FEC's or Cookshacks may be able to do it, but grease pans, etc. could really cause a mess.

YMMV!! :mrgreen:

When I do brisket for catering I finish it at home, wrap it, transport, and slice at the venue. I usually do chicken or such and have the cooker there and running with the chicken. I've never had someone want to pay me the extra money to cook brisket on-site!!

A guy here in Texas did it last week and started a brush fire that burned down 3 houses. I think it's a bad idea.

I do it for short distances. My cooker is easy to do it with. Sometimes I move the food to my warmer box for the trip to make it easy.

It depends on the cooker, but I would not recommend it. Besides the points already made, it can also turn the pit into a microwave because of the increased air.

, it can also turn the pit into a microwave because of the increased air.

I've done that :icon_blush: and it was just with air coming in the exhaust side, the intake was closed.

Shut the ball valve on the Stumps on a Saturday, transported it on Sunday thinking that everything was out..........found out I was wrong when I stopped to get gas and smoke was pouring out the exhaust. Wound the temp gauge around twice. :doh: No real harm done after the reseason.

I now empty the chute everytime I am taking it anywhere.

Maybe moving a smoker short distances a low speed would work, but from what I have seen, it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Good luck and be safe.

In Texas it illegal to pull a smoler on any public hiway while there is a fire in it.....:shocked:

Only if you say, "Hold my beer and watch this," before you do it.

CD :p

Yes you can but close all dampers down then open them when you get where you are going. I pulled one on time with open intake and exhaust and it got a forced draft going and the temp shot up over 1000 degrees and ruined a set of Ashcroft gauges, I don't do that anymore.

Back