Camp fire wood

Joe Black

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am new to the stick burning arena. I have been reading about types of fruit wood, size of splits and wood and charcoal mix, etc. I have noticed several references to camp fire wood for starting a fire, making coals, etc. What actually is camp fire wood?

I'm not a stick burner, yet. I have to imagine that campfire wood is something like pine or cedar. It lights fast, burns fast and hot. However, from what I've read, most folks start their bed of coals with lump or briquettes. Adding hardwood splits as needed.

Again, not a stick burner, just telling you what I've read. I imagine using soft, sappy woods will leave a film in your cooker, that possibly will leach into other foods.

Matt

Don't burn softwoods like pine or cedar in your pit anytime. Start your fire with charcoal and the splits you will burn while cooking.

If you burn pine, cedar, cypress, etc in your wood burner, you will have it up for sale quick. And, you probably won't be able to sell it with all the toxic tar and residue left on it. In other words, DON'T DO IT!! Burn cow chips or anything but the above listed woods in a wood burner.

Omar

Thanks for the input on the wood. I just have 2 more things.

1. Yes I have been camping, but we always burned oak.

2. Where can I get a truck load of cow chips?

Thanks again, Joe

Oak is cool for cooking and anywhere you have a dairy or beef cattle farm you'll find all the chips you could possibly need, though I wouldn't add any to the pit. I'm not sure if I would put any in a wood burner either

I am new to the stick burning arena. I have been reading about types of fruit wood, size of splits and wood and charcoal mix, etc. I have noticed several references to camp fire wood for starting a fire, making coals, etc. What actually is camp fire wood?

Since you're going to cook with it, then generally you start th fire with oak. Never use trashy/sappy wood..

I would consider campfire wood to be a smaller version of the same wood I plan to use for cooking. Smaller sticks will build a good coal bed faster.

most of the best BBQers in Texas use oak and pecan, some mesquite. I use Post oak for heat and pecan for flavor. Then when i need a lot of heat for steaks i use mesquite

Back