Knife sharpening question.

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a edge ware adjustable angle sharpener and wanted to sharpen my Victorinox brisket slicer and boning knife.
I looked on their website but did not see as to what degree on a sharpening angle they should be sharpened at. Does anyone know?

Seems like some people say Victorinox are 15 degree knives while most think they are 20 degree. I think that if you chose either or went in between like 17 you would be fine.

I don't know what angle the factory put on it but 15* or 20* is a good angle (per side) for kitchen knives.

Use a 20° edge setting. The steel in a Victorinox is not good enough to hold a more acute angle and will dull faster.

You could always check it. Run a Sharpie across the edge of the balde and make a mark. Use the sharpener at one angle for one light pass over a small part at the back of the blade. Stop. Examine the edge with the mark under magnification and see if the stroke was too shallow or too steep. Adjust accordingly.

Use a 20° edge setting. The steel in a Victorinox is not good enough to hold a more acute angle and will dull faster.
^^^^^This, and victorinox steel is too brittle to have a fine edge, it will chip.

From Victorinox...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pl1avid5av15mm9/angle of cutlery copy.pdf?dl=0

angle%20of%20cutlery%20copy_zps3xkujv8t.jpg

I think I have my edge pro at the 21 marking and now do all my knives there. very repeatable, strong edge with a variety of metals. The characteristics of the blade thickness stand out.

Back