Agave Nectar -

LennyG

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did a search and found some old threads on this - Looking for more recent input on using agave nectar, particularly as a sweetener in sauces in lieu of sugar, honey or molassas.

Thanks!

Works really well as a honey substitute...I find it is a little more subtle and is a bit smoother when mixed with sauce.

It's not as sweet as other stuff. I've used it.

You can adjust the sweetness of any of those by varying the amount, the key is they all taste different. It's worth trying them all and getting the flavor you want.

I swear the Agave Nectar I had may have been the single sweetest thing Ive ever tasted in my life

Agave nectar is graded just like maple syrup the darker the more flavor it has. Comparable to the difference between White sugar, turbanao & dark brown, The Light is similar to honey, the Amber is closer to cane syrup or brown sugar, the Raw is similar to molasses

There is no free lunch.
Agave's sweetness is all over the map depending on manufacturer and refinement. The lower fructose (less refined) brands are better for you and not as sweet, which means you will probably want more and that removes some (but not all) of the health benefits.
I like agave's taste, especially the low fructose brands, and so use it in marinades. The low fructose brands aren't sweet enough for me to use in tea but it can make a really "refined" fruit-aid if there is such a thing.

Bottom line is you need to identify your goals and experiment, as you do with everything else.
Ron

There is no free lunch.
Agave's sweetness is all over the map depending on manufacturer and refinement. The lower fructose (less refined) brands are better for you and not as sweet, which means you will probably want more and that removes some (but not all) of the health benefits.
I like agave's taste, especially the low fructose brands, and so use it in marinades. The low fructose brands aren't sweet enough for me to use in tea but it can make a really "refined" fruit-aid if there is such a thing.

Bottom line is you need to identify your goals and experiment, as you do with everything else.
Ron

Pretty much all of them are derived from the root bulb, and have to be chemically processed to convert the starch into sugars, just like HFCS. There really aren't any health benefits that I could find. Like anything else, it's driven by marketing.

Some interesting reading...

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401166/Whats-Wrong-with-Agave-Nectar.html

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

Excerpt about the process:
Agave “nectar” is not made from the sap of the yucca or agave plant but from the starch of the giant pineapple-like, root bulb. The principal constituent of the agave root is starch, similar to the starch in corn or rice, and a complex carbohydrate called inulin, which is made up of chains of fructose molecules.Technically a highly indigestible fiber, inulin, which does not taste sweet, comprises about half of the carbohydrate content of agave.
The process by which agave glucose and inulin are converted into “nectar” is similar to the process by which corn starch is converted into HFCS. The agave starch is subject to an enzymatic and chemical process that converts the starch into a fructose-rich syrup—anywhere from 70 percent fructose and higher according to the agave nectar chemical profiles posted on agave nectar websites.​

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-agave

And from the industry as a counterpoint

http://www.allaboutagave.com/health-benefits-of-agave-nectar.php

As an aside, I used to have to take medication for my blood sugar until I lost weight, and I researched a little bit on "sugar" substitutes that weren't artificial. As a result, I just simply cut out most sugars from my diet.

Having said all that, I still see no problem with using Agave Nectar as a sweetener, as long as you don't go overboard, as with anything else.

Patron is all buy I like it super refined.. Hic-up:tongue:

Last edited:
I find agave sweeter than honey. And I believe it is lower calorie (although that is like a french fry calling a fried burger 'low fat').

I have used on competition ribs. It changes the flavor profile, and you can definitely tell that it is agave instead of honey in the glaze. You have to experiment with the particular flavor profile to figure out whether honey or agave is better suited to your spices.

The brand I had "Sugar in the Raw" Agave nectar had more of a "carmel" flavor than a honey flavor. It was definitely good stuff. I just didnt really have a place for it in my process

This is a simple easy wing sauce I enjoy. Think 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of the 3 ingredients to make 1 cup of this sauce

In a pyrex glass measuring cup microwave 2/3 of a stick of butter until melted. (makes about 1/3 of a cup)

Looking at the volume of the measuring cup, pour in agave nectar until total volume with butter is 2/3 of a cup (1/3 cup of agave nectar) Microwave another 30 seconds

Finally add 1/3 of a cup Sriracha hot sauce until the total volume of the measuring cup goes up to 1 cup. Microwave another 45 seconds or so. Stir well

Smoke some wings until they need 10 more minutes or so to finish cooking. You can put a light rub of whatever you like prior to cooking.

In a large mixing bowl toss the wings in the warm sauce until coated and put back on an indirect heat grill for 10-15 minutes to set the sauce.

Enjoy!

Back