"Possum Korn"

Gulf

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Butter injected under the husks corn

It's getting a little late in the season down here for fresh sweet corn but, I just thought that I would post what I have been experimenting with for a year or so. That is injecting the corn with butter, salt and other seasonings.

Grilledcorn002_zpsdc1e902f.jpg

I just melt butter, add a little salt, and mix well. Sometimes, I add a little garlic powder, and onion powder to the mix. I use a meat injector to place the seasoning between the husk and the kernels. I use about 20 ml's per ear, and inject about 15 at the thick end and the rest at the top of the ear.

I have used this method on my grill, in my WFO, a conventional oven, and even in the microwave. It always turns out great.

One extra tip: When the corn is done, cut it at the bottom. Make sure that you have cut it high enough to cut through all husks.

Grilledcorn009_zpsdcc422b2.jpg

Use an insulated glove or wrap a paper towel around the top of the ear.

Grilledcorn017_zps31887f4d.jpg

Now squeeze, and the meat of the ear will pop out like a new born calf .

Grilledcorn025_zps096c2d7b.jpg

Most of the time, all the silk will be still in the husk, and only a clean (already seasoned) ear of corn will be left in the plate. That little trick will impress the heck out of your guests. Just show them how, and they will get a kick out of doing it for themselves :-D .

Grilledcorn008_zps5f412505.jpg

From what I have found, less seems to turn out better. I have tried creole seasonings with mixed results. Black pepper (even fine ground) seems to always stop up the needle. Just butter and a little salt always turns out great. Maybe, you can find the perfect seasoning for this method. If you do, please let me know first :wink:.

The sqeeze trick is not mine, I stumbled across it on the internet. But, so far, I haven't found the injected corn on there. I thought of that on my own. If no one else claims the title, I would like it to be called "possum korn".

I will explain that later.

There's all kinds of tricks to perfect grilled corn , you just added one more to my list. Thanks for sharing!!!

im so tired of taking all the silk and husk off the corn..i will def be trying this squeeze trick next time. thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the post, going to have to give it a try.

Looking good will definitely go to Your way of husking .

OK. That's a brilliant idea. The injecting. The squeeze extraction is too, but the injection is REALLY interesting.

Thank's ya'll, I can hardly wait to hear about some of ya'lls results.

I don't think it is all that clear in the op but, I only make two punctures. One would probably do it. The butter and seasoning seem to spread all the way around. On the grill, I try to keep the punture side up for the first part of the cook. To get it gilled evenly, I roll it 90 degees and then 180 back the other way. The puncture side is usually grilled last. I don't know that it really makes any difference, though. I have turned it only once during a few cooks and it seems to turn out fine. More times than none, I am very much "under the influence", when grilling. So, I am doing real good if I keep me the right side up :biggrin:.

When roasting the ears in any of the ovens, there is no need to turn them anyway.

Grate Ideas.......some people swear by Old Bay seasoning in with their butter on corn........I like it pretty much, but the wife's pretty particular about what she likes on corn & wraps w/ foil, butter, other various spices, lemon pepper , I think, etc..............Old Bay might be something you could try if you like the flavoring................

Will test out your method there soon......I've injected most everything over the years & thought of corn but never did it.....the name is yours !!!!

I'm a corn purist, but I'll give you credit on the husking thing. I plan to try that method.

And I'm sooooo ready for some corn. Tis late this year.

I've done that squeeze trick before, but never injecting!

Ever since boyscouts I've always had to have some big coffee can of melted butter to dunk it in. :D

Back