150 pound whole hog

hoogy

Reaction score
Going to cook a 150 pound whole hog on July 5. Going to cook butter fly style. My cooker cooks at 240 - 275. Just wondering how long to cook hog. I am thinking about 10 pounds per hour. So roughly 15 hours to cook then rest for 1 hour. What do you do to prepare the hog. Inject or rub or both. Thanks

What kind of cooker are you using? We cook a lot of whole hog here in NC. Just cooked a 70 pound yesterday. I normally go about an hour per 10 pounds at 300 skin down and don't flip. I don't do any injection, sauce, rub or anything else. I have never needed anything while cooking and we pull and/or chop ours and don't let people "pick" it. While we are pulling and chopping we then add the BBQ sauce.

Last edited:
Hour per lb. and you are cooking 70 lb.......dang I couldn't stay awake

What kind of cooker are you using? We cook a lot of whole hog here in NC. Just cooked a 70 pound yesterday. I normally go about an hour per pound at 300 skin down and don't flip. I don't do any injection, sauce, rub or anything else. I have never needed anything while cooking and we pull and/or chop ours and don't let people "pick" it. While we are pulling and chopping we then add the BBQ sauce.

I'm doing my first one this upcoming Saturday (90#er). I've been doing a lot of research on this site and if you are cooking less than 250, you might want to plan on 1.25-1.5 hours/10 lbs. I plan to keep mine at 275+ the entire time.

I will be doing mine racer style, as it may not fit butterflied in my cooker. Not entirely sure how much of a difference racer style vs butterflied matters in cooking time. Haven't gotten that far in my research yet...

I'm doing my first one this upcoming Saturday (90#er). I've been doing a lot of research on this site and if you are cooking less than 250, you might want to plan on 1.25-1.5 hours/10 lbs. I plan to keep mine at 275+ the entire time.

I will be doing mine racer style, as it may not fit butterflied in my cooker. Not entirely sure how much of a difference racer style vs butterflied matters in cooking time. Haven't gotten that far in my research yet...
Ok, I'll be following your hog cook and taking notes. So post your details please.

I have a reverse flow smoker. Just built it about three weeks ago. I used to have a 275 fuel tank on its side. as a reverse flow. The bottom was getting weak so I built a new one. Would love to post pictures but not sure how to.

c83966cb-c8db-42f7-830d-f0532b5ee71b.jpg

Last edited:
I figure 1 hr per 10 lb or until I get 190 in the hams I wipe the cavity with plain old white vinegar and good old table salt. I go meat down until I have about 2 hrs to go then I flip them on their back. The reason is if you cook them skin down the whole cook once that skin crisps up the meat just boils in the grease. By cooking meat down it lets the grease render out and drip into the coals. You end up with a moist juicy pig. There is a difference between greasy BBQ & moist BBQ. I use the skin as a serving bowl Pull 1/2 & chop 1/2 mix little piedmont red into the meat before you turn it over to the vultures.

[QUOTE I go meat down until I have about 2 hrs to go then I flip them on their back. The reason is if you cook them skin down the whole cook once that skin crisps up the meat just boils in the grease. .[/QUOTE]

I was going to cook meat side or skin side up. I saw a guy once try to flip his and it was just falling apart. If I cook skin side up then won't the fat just fall out through meat .

Cooking racer style or cavity down will render a lot of fat from a 150 hog. Be sure to open your clean out valve on that reverse flow.

[QUOTE I go meat down until I have about 2 hrs to go then I flip them on their back. The reason is if you cook them skin down the whole cook once that skin crisps up the meat just boils in the grease. .

I was going to cook meat side or skin side up. I saw a guy once try to flip his and it was just falling apart. If I cook skin side up then won't the fat just fall out through meat . [/QUOTE]
You have to cage wrap it and be gentle like your handling a very big baby, and you need 3 people one on each end an a catch man on the side to ease him down.

Ok, I'll be following your hog cook and taking notes. So post your details please.

Ill be in farmland BFE Illinois when I do it, and cell reception coupled with how the family likes to party, I probable won't be posting it until Tuesday the 24th when I get home. Rest assured I'll be sure to share any and all info about my first journey in hole pig!

Back