2nd Chuckie - what to use

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Doing my second Chuckie for this evenings meal. The last one I did I put in a foil pan at 165 IT AND ADDED 1/2 cup of red wine with the veggies and cooked until probe tender. This time I am thinking of trying beer. Any suggestions?

I've got a multipack of Stone so I have IPAs, etc.

Prepping...

625B9C3C-16EC-499B-B0B6-6E47300BF071_zpsibiurfhk.jpg

On the grill, temp at 374 and IT at 50

3749B30C-0BBB-4D51-B2C5-619222196A28_zpsq3f3fgso.jpg

Heck, give it a try with an IPA, let us know how it turns out. Chuckies are one of my favorites.

I've got a Stone Self Righteous Black IPA I'm gonna try. Who knows?:decision:

Love PSB. Just pulled a bag out of the freezer on Thursday and had leftovers. I guess next weekend or so I'll have to do another...

I know! Tastes great. In the pan and foiled now with a cup of beer IT at 163 grill cruising at 370

D2DAFC77-ACD4-4269-8D8D-1BF963917B8A_zpsndolxz6u.jpg

214 IT and mostly probing tender. May go to 218-220. Chuckie will tell me. :grin:

That is nice. One of my next cooks. I know everything is temp based, but can you give me an approx timeline? Or how long it takes the veggies to cook?

KAK, I put the Chuckie on at 4:25 and it took about an hour to get to 163 IT. I was planning on 165, but close enough. I put the meat in the pan with the veggies and back on the grill. I started probing at 205, which was about another 1 1/2 hours, but it still wasn't as tender as I wanted so I let it go another 1/2 hour till it hit 214. It was nice and tender and all the veggies were swimming in good juice. I really didn't worry about how long the veggies took, but I can tell you 2 hours will do it! Everything was do e by 7:30.

My first one was done in about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I would count on at least that and probably 3 to be safe. I was amazed how much of the beer flavor the potatoes absorbed. They were really good! I did quarter them.

Hope this helps. Good grilling! Tell your friends you're gonna smoke something good this weekend and watch the look in their faces. ;)

Oh, and I did run it at 360-390 pretty much the whole cook. If you use beer like I did remember to let it sit out and get warm or it'll bring the temp of the meat down.

Great job! Never done one. On my list after seeing this. Thank you for the post!

Tell your friends you're gonna smoke something good this weekend and watch the look in their faces. ;)[/QUOTE]

Made that mistake! "Come over and we'll smoke a fatty". They were NOT expecting BBQ!:laugh:

Back