Smoked BBQ Oxtails

Thanks Larry, like me some cow tail. I've been raised on oxtail stew, and oxtail soup with peanuts. Gonna have to try this one, have some in the freezer.

Oh yeah! Oxtail is excellent smoked up. Unfortunately my new local grocery store doesn't have it too often :(

Can the flavor be compared to anything? Is it rich like a short rib?

Yeah, and even a bit more gelatinous...I've never smoked em. Usually we make it in the pressure cooker as a stew, but will definitely give this a shot!

I've always had Oxtail Soup with lots of minced ginger, cilantro, peanuts, and star anise. As a matter of fact I had a bowl:-D yesterday! Always wanted to try and smoke it.
Has anyone tried smoking oxtail without wrapping or braising?

Oh yeah! Oxtail is excellent smoked up. Unfortunately my new local grocery store doesn't have it too often :(

I got these from my crappy Food Lion....saw them out one time and picked up both packs. Then one morning I was looking for more, but nothing. So I asked the meat guy when they would get them back in....'oh we have a ton of them in the freezer'! So you might want to ask for them. There's another store that NEVER has racks of short ribs, so I asked it they ever got them in...AGAIN 'oh yeah we have them in the freezer'. Not sure why they don't put these things out???

As a huge fan of pulled beef I'm definitely going to give this a go, ironically last week when I was shopping at the Navy Base Commissary I saw Ox Tail for the first time. Maybe I just never noticed it before but I was looking at them and thinking I wonder how you would cook that, now I know. Thanks for posting up your cook.

Back