what are some "must cook" competitions in the midwest?

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So we are hoping to be able to do more than our normal couple comps in 2017. I need to start planning now with as busy as life gets, but still need to be selective as we are never going to be able to be a team that gets to go out and compete every weekend unfortunately.

What are some contests in the midwest area, or within a state or two from Indiana, that you consider to be awesome and would highly recommend cooking? Thanks!

If you are looking for good local contests, CCS Fest, Boonville, New Palestine, Madison, Franklin, Sam's and Warsaw, all in Indiana are great contests.

Coming up this weekend is the Jim Beam in Springfield, Ky. A great event all around.
You have to try and get signed up early though, it fills up real fast. Also in October is the
big Buffalo Crossing in Munfordville, Ky. Another well organized and cooker friendly event.

If you are looking for good local contests, CCS Fest, Boonville, New Palestine, Madison, Franklin, Sam's and Warsaw, all in Indiana are great contests.

Thanks! love franklin and madison. will continue to do those. Heard good things about all those others as well. Couldn't do CCS this year regardless of it being basically in my backyard. Plus i think that one had a no booze rule. My teammates would smack me in the face and leave me hangin based on that. haha!

Thanks! love franklin and madison. will continue to do those. Heard good things about all those others as well. Couldn't do CCS this year regardless of it being basically in my backyard. Plus i think that one had a no booze rule. My teammates would smack me in the face and leave me hangin based on that. haha!

Don't rule out CCS because of that rule, it's a great contest! Besides I am willing to bet there was still a good amount of booze consumed there. Maybe in red cups???

Lincoln, IL and Arthur, IL are both top notch. Slight edge to Lincoln. Chris and gang are very very involved in Lincoln. Arthur is also ran well.

Lincoln, IL and Arthur, IL are both top notch. Slight edge to Lincoln. Chris and gang are very very involved in Lincoln. Arthur is also ran well.

Yep! These two are top notch. Also, Westmont, IL double header over Memorial Day weekend is great. If they do Plymouth, IN next year that is a good one at a nice location. Dwight, IL in early May is well run and a great location. Belvidere, IL may be a bit far but it was well run as well and had great infrastructure including 30A power and water for every site.

Yep! These two are top notch. Also, Westmont, IL double header over Memorial Day weekend is great. If they do Plymouth, IN next year that is a good one at a nice location. Dwight, IL in early May is well run and a great location. Belvidere, IL may be a bit far but it was well run as well and had great infrastructure including 30A power and water for every site.

Dwight is near some family of ours... that might be a good one for that reason.

Thanks everyone!

I forgot the Peoria BBQ Throwdown (formerly the Morton BBQ Throwdown). Well run, and the new location in Peoria is right by the river and very nice. Turn ins were a little far, but they can adjust that.

So we are hoping to be able to do more than our normal couple comps in 2017. I need to start planning now with as busy as life gets, but still need to be selective as we are never going to be able to be a team that gets to go out and compete every weekend unfortunately.

What are some contests in the midwest area, or within a state or two from Indiana, that you consider to be awesome and would highly recommend cooking? Thanks!

The Jim Beam BBQ Classic in Springfield KY

Springfield KY
Carrollton KY
Owensboro KY
Warsaw IN
Birch Run MI

And been hearing great things about the new Evansville IN comp for next year

Pigmainia in Lima, OH was a nice early June Comp that shouldn't be too far for you guys. At a fairgrounds with water and power at every site. Newer comp but well run and we had a great time.

Don't rule out CCS because of that rule, it's a great contest! Besides I am willing to bet there was still a good amount of booze consumed there. Maybe in red cups???

It wasn't a rule... red solo cups worked for me. CCS even gives you a nice dinner inside the school.

Back